Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im new to the forums here , but I need help with my 65 dart. I have the uppers and complete spindles off of a 74 duster to convert my dart. the problem I ran into was one, i let the lower ball joint loose and didnt know I was suipposed to let the tension bar loose first. 1 Did i screw it up and2 can get it bolted back on? Question2, the lower ball joint assembly on my 65 dart isnt as wide as the spindle bolt holes on the 74 duster bolt pattern. I was going to get lower ball joint assmebly for the same year as the duster but i dont know if the lower ball joint assembly will bolt up to my factory tierod end. Can someone tell me what i need to do? thx joe

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Don't worry about the lower control arm hanging down assuming the front shock is still hooked up; unlike a coil spring, your Torsion bar 'ain't' going to fly loose.

Lower ball joint: you'll need to use the 1973-76 Dart/Valiant parts which; BTW, are the same as a 1970-74 Challenger/Barracuda as well as any 1962-72 mid sized like a Belvedere, Charger, Coronet, Road Runner, etc. And yes; the tie rod hole is identical to your 1965 lowers so no issues there.

Master cylinder: any 1970's Dart/Valiant disc brake unit will work. As for a proportioning valve; again, you'd be safe in using a 1967-76 Dart/Valiant disc brake part. I'm guessing you won't go with power assist but even that's doable with the proper later car parts.

I've personally done two drum to disc swaps in ca. 1965-66 A bodies; it's almost 100% plug 'n' play..........including installing a 1973-75 big bolt pattern A body rear axle although if you use the 8 1/4" assembly, you'll need to have your driveshaft shortened about 1.5" to clear the longer pinion assuming your 1965 Dart has a 7 1/4" diff. Even your original parking brake cables will hook right up to the levers in the donor rear end. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry about the lower control arm hanging down assuming the front shock is still hooked up; unlike a coil spring, your Torsion bar 'ain't' going to fly loose.

Lower ball joint: you'll need to use the 1973-76 Dart/Valiant parts which; BTW, are the same as a 1970-74 Challenger/Barracuda as well as any 1962-72 mid sized like a Belvedere, Charger, Coronet, Road Runner, etc. And yes; the tie rod hole is identical to your 1965 lowers so no issues there.

Master cylinder: any 1970's Dart/Valiant disc brake unit will work. As for a proportioning valve; again, you'd be safe in using a 1967-76 Dart/Valiant disc brake part. I'm guessing you won't go with power assist but even that's doable with the proper later car parts.

I've personally done two drum to disc swaps in ca. 1965-66 A bodies; it's almost 100% plug 'n' play..........including installing a 1973-75 big bolt pattern A body rear axle although if you use the 8 1/4" assembly, you'll need to have your driveshaft shortened about 1.5" to clear the longer pinion assuming your 1965 Dart has a 7 1/4" diff. Even your original parking brake cables will hook right up to the levers in the donor rear end. :)
Hey I just ran into another problem. I had to get a dual bowl master cylinder to work with the 74 duster disc set up. the MS had the same bolt pattern but the plunger system from the break peddle to the MS is totally different. On the 65 dart the plunger system came on the MS. On the 74 duster MS the plunger was inside the MS and had no rod from the cylinder out to the break peddle arm. What do I do now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts