Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I am new to this site.

I have a number of 40's thru 60's cars and trucks, but new to Plymouths...
I picked up a couple of Fury's last year and have been restoring them, a 63 fury all original in good condition for my wife and a '66 sports fury with a new rebuild 440 super commando for myself.

The '63 runs and drives like new, but the '66 has a cooling issue.

It doesn't seem to want to warm up unless it's a hot day and sitting in traffic and them it will get up to 200-210 degrees, but will run only below 140 to160 normally ( on a 1 hour drive over a 2000ft mountain pass it still doesn't warm up) .

I put in a new 180 t-stat, new water pump, and fan clutch.

I would think it would always warm up to the t-stat temperature?

It is inconvenient on a cold morning to not have much heat from the heater and would think it would run better at 180-200 degrees?

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. This may need a good cooling system diagnosis. Don't overlook a wrong or defective radiator cap for low coolant temperatures.
There should be no flow in the radiator until the thermostat opens. You can visually confirm this by watching the level in the top tank. A 195˚ F themostat may be a better choice if the cooling system is in otherwise good health.
Dash gauges can be inaccurate and a handheld IR laser thermometer is great for looking at cold and hot spots.
The heater hoses should warm up before the radiator top hose does. The heater core inlet hose should be slightly warmer than the return hose. This shows heat transfer into the cabin is taking place.
Heater cable adjustments should also be checked for maximum heat flow. Any inline water valves must be fully open.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the radiator cap is a good call, cuz lack of pressure can cause problems. a good trick i learned is to let the car heat up and spray the radiator with a hose. when it starts steaming off the car is at temperature, then just see what ur gauge says. good starting point, so good luck :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts