Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought a 1970 4 dr coronet 225 and floor shift 3 gears manual. I want to put a 318 engine and a 904 transmission. Is there any adapter to engine mounts or I have to change K member. 70 is a only year k-member or I can use from other years? And what could I need to put my 904 instead of the standard 3 gear transmission or is wiser to go A-833 4? thank you

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You either need to change the k member to a smallblock one ( there are 4 variants, /6; sb; bb; hemi. ) or get adapter engine mounts.
- i suspect that any 68 to 70 b-body k would work.
- the 904 will bolt up to its rear mount with the correct isolator.
- an 833 would do just fine and is an easy app since you have the clutch linkage and pedal there already.
But why choose an 833? its just a 318 and the 833 is scarse today. Truck 5 speeds are easy to find.
- i would just keep it as is and make sure the driveline is in good working order, /6 cars have their own values..

Reactions: jormymex

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
...any small block k- member...

·
Premium Member
20,163 Posts
Schumacher makes motor mount adapters for slant six to V8 adaption if you can't find the proper A body crossmember. For reference of what K member you need for the small block, there are plenty of interchange lists with a search for that.
As far as the A-833 goes, it is a direct bolt-in for the three speed manual. The overdrive is nice, being a .71 or .72 overdrive for highway driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You either need to change the k member to a smallblock one ( there are 4 variants, /6; sb; bb; hemi. ) or get adapter engine mounts.
- i suspect that any 68 to 70 b-body k would work.
- the 904 will bolt up to its rear mount with the correct isolator.
- an 833 would do just fine and is an easy app since you have the clutch linkage and pedal there already.
But why choose an 833? its just a 318 and the 833 is scarse today. Truck 5 speeds are easy to find.
- i would just keep it as is and make sure the driveline is in good working order, /6 cars have their own values..
Thank you, I don´t know I can swap truck 5 speeds transmissions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Schumacher makes motor mount adapters for slant six to V8 adaption if you can't find the proper A body crossmember. For reference of what K member you need for the small block, there are plenty of interchange lists with a search for that.
As far as the A-833 goes, it is a direct bolt-in for the three speed manual. The overdrive is nice, being a .71 or .72 overdrive for highway driving.
Thank you I will see the lists

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Any 68-70 smallblock b-body k- member, i doubt that a 71-72 would work but im not sure.

·
Super Moderator
37,865 Posts
If finding adapter brackets or the small block K frame is an issue, you can install the 318/904 using the transmission mount to locate the transmission. Then cut off and reweld the engine mount ears to locate the engine properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If finding adapter brackets or the small block K frame is an issue, you can install the 318/904 using the transmission mount to locate the transmission. Then cut off and reweld the engine mount ears to locate the engine properly.
thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any 68-70 smallblock b-body k- member, i doubt that a 71-72 would work but im not sure.
Yes, I found two or tree 68 and 69, I want the 70-up because the sway bar location, as I know at this moment 71-72 will not work Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts