Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please fix the following before Bob's head explodes

Though the architecture critical platform dimensions for the next-generation Chrysler minivans has been finalized, the actual vehicles have their architecture has not, as Chrysler wrestles with customer desires and market issues.

While it would take quite a bit of work to build a pickup truck using an actual minivan chassis, if engineers started with that goal from the start, they could work out ways to adapt the chassis architecture and, equally important more importantly, the platform (dimensions) to accommodate a “lifestyle pickup.”

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then what Sergio said does not make sense. If the architecture has been finalized then that would imply the design is all but done. Yet, unless I'm mistaken, he also clearly states that they are still working out the basic attributes of each vehicle.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
A recent AutoNews article defined "lifestyle pickup" not as a vehicle per se, but as "a pickup bought by someone that is not using it for work."

My father didn't need a pickup truck to get to his place of employment to do his job, but he did use it for towing the boat and the trailer, carrying the camping gear, and hauling the home project stuff. In that sense, my father was a "lifestyle pickup buyer."

After he retired and starting working for himself, different story.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Sergio Marchionne just told us last week that the architecture had been finalized.
I believe Sergio has mixed the terms before.

Remember, a platform is nothing more than a set of dimensions. Once could see that as an architecture of sorts that defines the parameters for the final design that will be built using that set of dimensions.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Platforms are the dimensions that dictate where a vehicle's hard points are, right? The architecture is everything that goes in-between those dimensions (suspension, floor pan, body structure, etc..).

Can you have a "modular" architecture? In that two quite different vehicles may be able to say, use the same suspension design and even have some common steel structure, like floor pans or pillar design?

·
Administrator
35,237 Posts
I believe he meant architecture, not platform. He talked about how old it was and such. I don't think that would matter much for a platform -- if you keep it current, it's OK, e.g. LX dimensions might be hitting a third generation with minor if any changes -- but it sure matters for an architecture. I will bet minivans will go to a four wheel independent suspension (I believe they still use the basic design launched in 1996):

"The rear suspension consists of a tapered single leaf-spring configuration with a tubular beam axle with track bar. The track bar provided lateral control of the suspension geometry for improved ride and handling. An interesting note is the team investigated a variety of rear suspension configurations, even including a double-wishbone set-up, but found leaf springs provided the greatest consistency of ride and handling across the spectrum from unloaded to fully loaded."

Original is atCaravan and Voyager Technical Overview 1996-2000http://www.allpar.com/model/m/overview.html#ixzz2IdADEKgQ
Follow us:@allparcom on Twitter|allparcom on Facebook

When I look at press releases for 2001, 2008, and 2011, I see mere refinements of the rear suspension noted. I could be wrong about this, I should know it offhand but I don't. I guess I could go outside and look...

·
Administrator
35,237 Posts
See, here's the thing -- I think they have essentially engineered the minivan and are working on the "top hat," based on what Sergio said. Indeed, I think they probably have a Dodge and Chrysler minivan styled but they are working on alternatives -- branding, options, etc. And of course waiting for the nine speeds! I think the plan is to debut with the nine speed so it's possible that they are doing an Apple (for those who remember the "Apple on Intel" project) and finalizing plans, but keeping their options open, so that as they wait and gather information, they can have a number of alternatives to choose from or pencil in.

I wonder if we will see minivans that have Durango-like suspensions... or what. They have a few designs to choose from in the Fiat/Chrysler empire. Since 1998, I do not believe there has been enough money to create something completely new; I think Daimler cash-cowed the minivans, creating a self fulfilling prophecy. Disclaimer: this is opinion based on partial observance and not actual knowledge.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I still HIGHLY doubt the dodge will be a crossover, it already has the Journey, it makes more sense for the Chrysler to be a crossover since the Pacifica as been MIA for a while now. The Caravan has a legacy, that'd be like like Ford making making the Mustang a large sedan or Chevy axing the Corvette. I know it's just speculation but IMHO it just isnt going to happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all. I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to join as there is something I'd like to bring up in this thread if you all will indulge me.

I'm a big fan of car based truck style vehicles ala El Camino, Ranchero, Rampage and the Holden Ute. I came close to getting my wish when Pontiac was going to bring out the G8 ST as a 2010 but we all know what happened right before that. GM looks like they have no real interest in this type of vehicle right now. My question/suggestion for Chrysler Corp is this.

How about bringing back the Dodge Magnum wagon off the (LA platform, that which the Charger and 300 are on now) AND introducing a "lifestyle" vehicle based off it as a new Dodge Magnum Ute or Dodge Rampage? This would be a "lifestyle" vehicle that I would have a high degree of interest in much more so than a mini-van with a bed. It would be a small niche to fill but it could include AWD versions of both and even an SRT version as well, like the old Magnum SRT8. I've contacted Chrysler before about this exact idea and wonder if anyone here thinks along the same lines.

Hope I haven't strayed too far off the topic, but I'd love to come into the Mopar fold with this style of vehicle. I really don't want a full size truck like the Ram 1500 either, too big for me. Have there been any rumblings of something like this happening or are we looking at a mini-van with a bed "lifestyle" vehicle. Something I really wouldn't want, but could understand if others did.

Thanks for listening. :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think a minivan based truck would sell ok as long as 1) It gets better average fuel mileage by 3+mpg than the Ram 1500 V6. 2) $5000 or more cheaper than the Ram 1500 3) optional AWD like the van offers.
This would be a more world sales vehicle than the current Ram 1500.
Offer a 2dr long bed besides a 4dr short bed.

The only problem I see with the pictured van is the big blind spot.

·
Registered
446 Posts
66coronet said:
I think a minivan based truck would sell ok as long as 1) It gets better average fuel mileage by 3+mpg than the Ram 1500 V6. 2) $5000 or more cheaper than the Ram 1500 3) optional AWD like the van offers.
This would be a more world sales vehicle than the current Ram 1500.
Offer a 2dr long bed besides a 4dr short bed.

The only problem I see with the pictured van is the big blind spot.
There is no AWD option on the Minivan

·
Registered
531 Posts
Cdnautowrkr444 said:
There is no AWD option on the Minivan
Sergio said the next minivan will have it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes but did he say you could have AWD and Sto n Go. There are issues to overcome to offer both. Most would prefer Sto N Go if they had to choose. Minivans were available in AWD pre Sto N Go but they sold in such low numbers it was no longer profitable to offer AWD with such a low take rate

·
Registered
531 Posts
Cdnautowrkr444 said:
Yes but did he say you could have AWD and Sto n Go. There are issues to overcome to offer both. Most would prefer Sto N Go if they had to choose. Minivans were available in AWD pre Sto N Go but they sold in such low numbers it was no longer profitable to offer AWD with such a low take rate
I don't know if they have or not. All I'm saying is he said the next minis would have AWD available.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
I don't know if they have or not. All I'm saying is he said the next minis would have AWD available.
fuel tank and spare tire are the big issues to doing AWD in SnG. Spare is doable i think, somehow vertically where current jack is, perhaps. Fuel tanks are the tough one. Other option is some sort of hydraulic drive , or electrical drive at rear wheels, to avoid the center differential, but then there are other parts associated with those systems that need a place to go.

I think it's doable, but just may require some unorthodox packaging. Maybe even a sandwich type construction, a'la the first gen MB A-class.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts