Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My rebuilder tells me the bolt that bolts into the crank sprocket is not deep enough. I cannot understand what the problem is, as all the bolts were with the engine when it went into the shop for rebuilding. I guess I should mention the engine is a 2.5 4 cylinder from 1989.

If anyone can help me regarding the length of that bolt, I would be most appreciative. This is the only thing holding up putting the engine into my van.

If there is a location where this information is readily available online, do let me know as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
The bolt should be cheap enough to just replace. Compare it to the one that you now have. Look at the end to see if it has possibly sheared off inside the crank.
Many times the sprocket is removed and the bolt reinserted to turn the engine over with a wrench. If an air wrench was used, it can snap the bolt off inside the crank. That will make the bolt too short and not threadable.
I show a part # of 6500430, but have the dealer double-check that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you are going junk yarding the bolt has to come out of a 89 and up common block 2.2/2.5. The crank bolt is different on the older 2.2/2.5's. It took me a few days to find one luckly my friend had one in his bucket of bolts. Make sure the treads are clean on the bolt. I snapped a crankbolt in half on one of my cars and all I was doing was just wrenching it in no air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts