Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have an 89 Caravan with a 2.5 four cylinder engine. This van came without cruise control.

I have the Chrysler shop manual for this van. I know what I need to do to install cruise on this vehicle. So here is the problem I found an 89 in a boneyard and removed the steering column and the wiring harness (tho I discovered I did not need it, or so I thought). I got home and looked at my harness on the van and I noticed the plug to the servo was different than the plug on the harness. It looked more like the servo on an 88 and earlier. I know for a fact I removed this stuff from an 89!!

Since I have the shop manual, I looked for a diagram but all I see is a reproduction of the same diagram for an 88 and earlier models. No help!

Can anyone tell me if the cruise on an 1988 Caravan (Plymouth Voyager) comes with a small vacuum
reservoir attached to it?

Thanks very much for your help!

slim slow slider

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the cruise on an 1988 Caravan (Plymouth Voyager) comes with a small vacuum reservoir attached to it?
I used to own a 1988 Dodge Caravan and I do not remember a vacuum reservoir attached to the cruise servo. In addition I owned a 1989 Plymouth Acclaim and the cruise servo was a different style with a different electrical connection from the 1988 model. So there was a design change in the servo electrical between 1988 and 1989 models.

The donor vehicle from which you salvaged the cruise servo may have had parts applied to it from a different model year.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
A dealer installed Mopar cruise control might have been different than the factory installed cruise.
All vehicles should have a vacuum reservoir for climbing hills with cruise engaged. The plastic battery tray lower portion doubled as a vacuum reservoir for many different years and models.
The brake light switch may also be different.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the info. Too bad the issue is so clouded.

I guess I can't go wrong using the setup from an 89 w/ cruise. There's a tiny vacuum reservoir attached, and the four-pin plug matches the plug in the wiring harness.

Thanks to all for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts