Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van has the 2.5 four cylinder engine.

I am installing cruise on this vehicle, as it originally did not come with cruise. A friend gave me a servo unit (as I have everything else, including a tilt steering column) but I am concerned about this unit.

It has a small reservoir as part of the mounting bracket. I cannot see it in the 1989 Chrysler shop manual. I am miles away from junkyards to do any kind of comparison.

If you happen to own one of these Gen 1 vans with cruise, can you tell me if in fact, the servo has a small black tank-reservoir as part of the mounting bracket.

Much Appreciated!

'slim slow slider'

·
Registered
45 Posts
Slim: I've got a 1990 Grand Caravan LE, 3.3L, with cruise. I don't know anything about the reservoir or mounting bracket you refer to, but if you want to tell me where to look and what I'm looking for, I'll tell you what I find. I checked my factory manual and didn't locate any reference to cruise control. Let me know if I can help some way.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
The servo has a vacuum diaphragm, is that the assembly you're talking about?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The servo has a vacuum diaphragm, is that the assembly you're talking about?

OK, if that's what it's called. It's a small 'tank' with one connection going to a vacuum source and the other goes to the brake booster. So I guess the 89 came originally with this cruise setup?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
can you tell me if in fact, the servo has a small black tank-reservoir as part of the mounting bracket.
I am pretty sure that the servo with attached reservoir is from a later model vehicle. My 1991 Dakota has a cruise servo with an attached vacuum tank reservoir. The 1989 min-vans did not have a vacuum reservoir attached to the cruise servo. The electrical connection should be the same so it should function properly when mounted on your van.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty sure that the servo with attached reservoir is from a later model vehicle. My 1991 Dakota has a cruise servo with an attached vacuum tank reservoir. The 1989 min-vans did not have a vacuum reservoir attached to the cruise servo. The electrical connection should be the same so it should function properly when mounted on your van.
That's what I was hoping. Did not see any on other vehicles. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The servo diaphragm is the actuator for the cable that controls the throttle opening.
The black, plastic reservoir is the vacuum tank. It may also be part of the battery tray on some vehicles. It may also incorporate a one-way check valve.
Check your underhood vacuum map label for component and routing location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts