Allpar Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
China is communist. The communist party is the only party.
China's human rights abuses are too many to list, but include forced abortion, sterilization, slavery, genocide and mass executions for non-violent crimes.
Add to that China's theft of intellectual property, currency manipulation, bribery of university, business and government officials.

So, you can all sit around and debate what to call it. That will not change the fact that it is one of the most horrible and abusive governments in the world today.
The only reason they even let these American companies over there is to massively accelerate their learning curve.
Once Jeep got them up to speed on car manufacturing and their vehicle production can supply their own country Jeep was toast and China will gladly swoop in and pick up the ashes.

They’ve done it a ton of times but the CEO’s of these companies can’t pass up their big bonuses that all the Chinese sales and cheep labor provide.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
The only reason they even let these American companies over there is to massively accelerate their learning curve.
Once Jeep got them up to speed on car manufacturing and their vehicle production can supply their own country Jeep was toast and China will gladly swoop in and pick up the ashes.

They’ve done it a ton of times but the CEO’s of these companies can’t pass up their big bonuses that all the Chinese sales and cheep labor provide.
You are correct.
You do not read about the companies and CEOs who refuse to do business in China.
But, if your competitors are having things made cheap, the pressure is on you, as cEO, to find a way to be competitive....the easiest route is to follow suit.

China built plants and put infrastructure in place to lure western companies there. For those that complain about local, state and federal tax breaks to lure companies here, it pales in comparison to what the Chinese have done.

Once again, western companies used short-term thinking to make this quarter's financials look good instead of thinking long-term and what is best for the health of the brand.

Reactions: djDaemon and DC-93

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,528 Posts
Regardless of good or bad China has always looked at the long term, very long term, sight for it's country. Whether it's economically, militarily, or socially.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
China has been reverse engineering for years.
Heck, remember when Japanese auto execs were touring our auto plants, taking photos?

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,528 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Reactions: AceHanlon

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
The typical bureaucratic excuse....we don't have enough people. Hogwash.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The west needs to decouple. That doesn't mean no business with China but that the Chinese aren't depended upon.
It's happening, believe me. But things like that can't possibly happen quickly

Always remember that there is a lead time to ANYTHING you do. It will take years to move manufacturing out of China into something more local, and we are in for years of pain in the meantime.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts

Always remember that there is a lead time to ANYTHING you do. It will take years to move manufacturing out of China into something more local, and we are in for years of pain in the meantime.
Yes, and when you add the North American labor problems and supply chain shortages issues, it is even harder to ramp up production elsewhere.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,764 Posts

I hope so, good to hear. I admit I don't do a deep dive on the subject. My perception is decoupling is more talk than action and results.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hope so, good to hear. I admit I don't do a deep dive on the subject. My perception is decoupling is more talk than action and results.
Give me some time and I can dig up my sources. It's been a long time coming - our labor shortage has been predicted since the 1980s & 1990s.

COVID-19 created a perfect storm that is accelerating everything. COVID-19 took a million+ out of the US workforce just as baby boomers are retiring; by itself the generational issue will cause a 400,000-900,000 person shortage every year until the last of the boomers retire in 2030 or so.... with no one to replace them.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,221 Posts
Since I was born in 1960, I'm supposed to be a boomer. But neither of my parents were old enough . My father was born in 1935 and my mother in 1942. I get grouped into that part. I have no plans to retire, at least until my health makes me.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts