Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.) Can you get Quadra-Drive II with the 3.6?

2.) Can you get Selec-Terrain, the electric rear locker, and all other offroad goodies without getting the air suspension?

If so, I'd like to get the standard suspension and put a lift kit on it....but what the hell is the good of that without all the other goods?

Problem with the Air Suspension is the inability to put bigger tires on.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
unclejjg said:
1.) Can you get Quadra-Drive II with the 3.6?

2.) Can you get Selec-Terrain, the electric rear locker, and all other offroad goodies without getting the air suspension?

If so, I'd like to get the standard suspension and put a lift kit on it....but what the hell is the good of that without all the other goods?

Problem with the Air Suspension is the inability to put bigger tires on.
I don't have the answers at my finger tips, but I'm not aware of any affordable lift for the WK that really accomplishes anything. In fact, they are limited to affordable "pucks" that amount to about 2.5" and simply force the factory springs and components into a full extended position, eliminating almost any further up travel and placing the half shaft u joints into a position that is not optimum for long life...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
1.) Yes, you can you get Quadra-Drive II with the 3.6.

2.) No, you cannot get Selec-Terrain, the electric rear locker, and all other offroad goodies without getting the air suspension. They all come with the Off-road II package which includes the tow package for about $1700.

The Grand Cherokee Trailhawk could be an option for you -- I'm not sure what size tires it allows, but the concept version had 35-inch tires on 17-inch Rubicon wheels. However, it has the air suspension standard.

Production version:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/04/2013-jeep-grand-cherokee-trailhawk-and-wrangler-moab-special-edi/

Concept version:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/20/jeep-2013-moab-easter-jeep-safari-concepts/
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
The stock tires on the KL Trailhawk are 29". There is no way in heck that 35" tires can be safely added and even if so, that drivetrain, which is having issues with 29" tires, will simply not live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
The stock tires on the KL Trailhawk are 29". There is no way in heck that 35" tires can be safely added and even if so, that drivetrain, which is having issues with 29" tires, will simply not live.
True, but the discussion is about the Grand not the KL. :)

The fitting of 35's on the Trail Hawk concept Grand Cherokee required a lot of sheet metal trimming.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
dmcdonald said:
True, but the discussion is about the Grand not the KL. :)
The fitting of 35's on the Trail Hawk concept Grand Cherokee required a lot of sheet metal trimming.
True,.,but there is never going to be a production Grand Cherokee that has 35" tires either.
Frankly, I don't know how the Concept is even drivable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
True,.,but there is never going to be a production Grand Cherokee that has 35" tires either.
Frankly, I don't know how the Concept is even drivable.
I'm pretty sure you are right there, and not many people are going to cut into a new GC.
It would be interesting to see/drive it in person just to gauge its drivability. Maybe you should use some of your contacts to make it happen and let us know.
While it still may not be a JKU, it does seem to drivable in the videos I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wNEsm125g
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
There are a couple of things which make it "drivable" for the video. They put a 1.5" spacer into the already restricted 5.5" spring travel, resulting in a 4", or very restricted spring travel.
Also note the very low speed which they travel the terrain. Those two things keep the tires from contacting the fenders.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
Once again, the erroneous garbage about it being built upon a Mercedes platform...likely still being spread by Chrysler PR folks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Once again, the erroneous garbage about it being built upon a Mercedes platform...likely still being spread by Chrysler PR folks.
I would say Chrysler PR are trying harder to distance themselves than than. More likely poor research. Check out their comment on previous models:

"Although not introduced to Australia until 1996 the Jeep Grand Cherokee was launched in the USA in 1992, sharing its four-litre, six-cylinder petrol engine with the monocoque Cherokee, but with body on frame construction."

Also found this quote interesting:

"Live-axled Jeep Grand Cherokees – all pre-2011 models – could do with ground clearance increases, but this a difficult task, thanks to the short leading and trailing arms used by Jeep. Height increases can lead to quirky on-road handling, so modify with care."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
I am wondering if the models sold in Australia have more differences from those sold in the US than which side has the steering gear and steering wheel. I have seen Chrysler, GM, and Ford products assembled in Australia and Thailand that looked like the US counterparts but were mechanically different and on different platforms. It might be worth sending a polite inquiry to the contact address on the webpage.

I shared the link so others could see what is being said about jeeps in another country [in English yet] if the vehicles delivered there are mechanically different it's comparing apples to durians anyway.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
Cornupenuria said:
I am wondering if the models sold in Australia have more differences from those sold in the US than which side has the steering gear and steering wheel. I have seen Chrysler, GM, and Ford products assembled in Australia and Thailand that looked like the US counterparts but were mechanically different and on different platforms. It might be worth sending a polite inquiry to the contact address on the webpage.I shared the link so others could see what is being said about jeeps in another country [in English yet] if the vehicles delivered there are mechanically different it's comparing apples to durians anyway.
There are no other differences,...just misinformation by the publication.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top