Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need as much information as I can get from all of you. I want to replace the OEM Fuel Injection System with a Custom Electronic Fuel Injection System on a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2L Turbo I have. The reason why is due to no one being able to figure out why the engine won't stay running. Everything has been replaced twice over for the Computer Control System and I am done with that.

What I need to know is what to buy and where to get a complete Aftermarket Electronic Fuel Injection System for my 1986 Chrysler 2.2L Turbo Engine so I can get it up a running. I am getting spark so it's not my ignition system and my fuel pressure is correct to specs. It will start but dies. Let's not try to diagnose this problem. I been through it with Chrysler experts and none of them can figure it out.

I believe it's in all the wiring and I want to get rid of all the OEM crap and start fresh installing a Aftermarket Electronic Fuel Injection System for my 1986 Chrysler 2.2L Turbo Engine; but I don't know if anyone makes what I need for my 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2L Turbo engine when it comes to the aftermarket Fuel Injection Systems.

I hope somebody will know where to direct me in this forum.

Thanks for the read and any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You could try getting ahold of FAST, or picking up a turbo type magazine and looking in the ads for them. Granted it has been looked at by many other Chrysler experts and they could n't figure out what is going on, I would personally rewire everything. Heck, it may not be the EFI system but something simple like an ignition switch, a grounding strap, or, the hall effect (I think you have one still) getting weak. You failed to mention how long she actually runs before she shuts off and whether she starts back up right after she dies or has to cool down before she starts again.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I need as much information as I can get from all of you. I want to replace the OEM Fuel Injection System with a Custom Electronic Fuel Injection System on a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2L Turbo I have. The reason why is due to no one being able to figure out why the engine won't stay running. Everything has been replaced twice over for the Computer Control System and I am done with that.

What I need to know is what to buy and where to get a complete Aftermarket Electronic Fuel Injection System for my 1986 Chrysler 2.2L Turbo Engine so I can get it up a running. I am getting spark so it's not my ignition system and my fuel pressure is correct to specs. It will start but dies. Let's not try to diagnose this problem. I been through it with Chrysler experts and none of them can figure it out.

I believe it's in all the wiring and I want to get rid of all the OEM crap and start fresh installing a Aftermarket Electronic Fuel Injection System for my 1986 Chrysler 2.2L Turbo Engine; but I don't know if anyone makes what I need for my 1986 Chrysler New Yorker 2.2L Turbo engine when it comes to the aftermarket Fuel Injection Systems.

I woulde never let a problem like this beat me but as you insist here is a link to installing Megasquirt on a Chrysler turbo.

Good luck

Thanks
Randy

http://www.turbododge.info/

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Megasquirt. That was the other company I was thinking about. Thing is, both companies, the price of the systems is more than it would cost to find another turbo car and change vin and license plates to fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!
+1 on Dana's suggestion. These vehicles aren't really considered worth anything by many people, so good advice can be hard to come by. Fortunately, we have one of the most active communities dedicated to these cars on Allpar. The 2.2/2.5 were used across virtually all passenger car platforms from the mid '80s to '93, and continued in production until '95 for the 2.5. Rather than spending big bucks, you might do well to try re-posting this to the general tech support and help or EEK forums, those tend to get a LOT more traffic. If you go aftermarket, you're going to be installing capability that you will never be able to use on a stock motor, and you'll be paying for it. It sounds like you've been shotgunning the repairs without any proper diagnosis. You also run the risk of plugging a very expensive system into a bad $20 sensor and having the exact same symptoms. If you figure out that it's wiring and you don't want to deal with that, you can get a wiring harness from a junkyard for less than $100 in many cases (the cars not being worth anything cuts both ways, parts are plentiful and cheap in junkyards).

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dana44 said:
Welcome to the forum. You could try getting ahold of FAST, or picking up a turbo type magazine and looking in the ads for them. Granted it has been looked at by many other Chrysler experts and they could n't figure out what is going on, I would personally rewire everything. Heck, it may not be the EFI system but something simple like an ignition switch, a grounding strap, or, the hall effect (I think you have one still) getting weak. You failed to mention how long she actually runs before she shuts off and whether she starts back up right after she dies or has to cool down before she starts again.
I'm leaning towards the ignition switch. That was one of my first thoughts through all the diagnostics and parts replacements. I have done every test and more that people have mentioned in my posts here. I have replaced all the emission control devices also and the reason why was due to the fact I was having problems and decided why not after rebuilding my engine and all them sensors, logic module and power module had over 200,000 on them and will fail soon due to that fact. i can't see doing some half [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] job, rebuilding the engine and not replace all the components that came. I have checked the wiring harnesses and all the connectors for corrosion and not being clamped tight to the terminal ends. I even bent them all so there was not doubt they would be tight on them all.

dana44 said:
She runs differently all the time, sometimes starts and dies right away, other times starts and runs 3 minutes and dies, other timers runs 15 minutes, After it sat for a year, I started it back up and she stayed running for an hour and I took it for three tests rides and she ran like a champ. Than I shut it off and went inside the house for a couple hours, came out and it would not start. I left the car sit over night and the next day it started right up; but than she died in about 15 seconds. I'm leaning towards that ignition switch. It's the original one that came off the show room floor when it was new.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There are 2 fuel filters on these cars, so you might want to check to be sure they are both flowing. Secondly, it almost sounds like the sock in the fuel tank is clogging. Sometimes it can suck some fuel before pulling too much gunk up, and other times it runs for longer. You may have to drop the tank.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
rwcjr1957 said:

You see the photo of that '85 Laser. It had a 2.2L TBI engine with a 5 speed trans when I got it. Needed a lot of work. The long and short of it is; I built a 2.5L turbo engine using used parts from several donor cars. This included the wiring harness from an '89 Chrysler TC and an engine controller (SMEC) from a Dodge Shelby Daytona. This turns out to be a basic Turbo ll system. Don't even waste your time with that old '86 Turbo l system or that 2.2L
I built my 2.5 to be both economical and FAST. I used the higher compression pistons for the normally aspirated 2.5 engine. It has the Mitsubishi faster spooling, small turbo cartridge, nice 2 1/2" exhaust. Nothing really special but IT REALLY PERFORMS!
You can always chase me down here at Allpar for more scoop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts