Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
There is only 1 way for a new mid size to be a winner. It has to be caravan/pacifica base and base model to start around 18 grand.
The Voyager isn't even 18k.

As much as I liked the idea of a Gladiator based Dakota (and if that truck made it to production I would have been first in line for it) there must not have been a feasible financial case for it. Sooooo what is replacing it if it is getting replaced. A new Promaster Platform, a 2nd gen Gladiator platform, or a ground up "world truck" Midsize to us, but large for the rest of the world.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
The Voyager isn't even 18k.

As much as I liked the idea of a Gladiator based Dakota (and if that truck made it to production I would have been first in line for it) there must not have been a feasible financial case for it. Sooooo what is replacing it if it is getting replaced. A new Promaster Platform, a 2nd gen Gladiator platform, or a ground up "world truck" Midsize to us, but large for the rest of the world.
Gladiator platform would not make a good mid-size pickup for those that actually want to use it. Gladiator is compromised in many ways by using so much from the Wrangler.

Gladiator is a lifestyle truck with great off-road capability. As a work truck, it is not very good.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
Dakota is still coming. I never thought it would be based on the Gladiator. I just didn't see that as being practical.
Are we still looking at a 2022 timeframe?

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
I don't see how even Chrysler of 1997 could do it by 2022 — assuming a February start and a global project — and a fresh platform. On the other hand, if they did something like adapt the ProMaster or their existing joint-venture pickup, 2022 isn't insane.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,901 Posts
Clearly, given the information that valiant67 has given, there is a need for a mid-size truck.
I looked at dealer inventory online last night, used and new. The cheapest used truck was a 2018 Ram 1500 Express with 34K miles, for $26,900. All used trucks had a 5'7" bed, totally useless to me. Of new trucks, the only one of 10 in stock that had a 6'4" bed (2 inches shorter than my 'short-bed' Dakota) has a sticker price of $47,300.
Unacceptable. For $26K, I could find a decent Dakota frame down south, have it shipped, and drop a new drivetrain in it, and have all my needs met. Obviously, too much time and effort. But you get the idea. These are NOT trucks. These are living rooms with fully-featured entertainment centers on wheels, with a cooler-sized storage capacity behind them. And they only get 3 mpg more than I get now.
Good thing you haven't looked at new trucks. In November while I was having my truck in for its annual safety inspection, I wandered around the showroom and the lot. On the showroom floor was a '21 Ram 1500 Big Horn edition crew cab 5'7" bed and pretty well loaded for only $68K. I almost fainted from sticker shock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good thing you haven't looked at new trucks. In November while I was having my truck in for its annual safety inspection, I wandered around the showroom and the lot. On the showroom floor was a '21 Ram 1500 Big Horn edition crew cab 5'7" bed and pretty well loaded for only $68K. I almost fainted from sticker shock.
trucks need to get back closer to being what they used to be but i dont think we will see that happen too much $ to be made with all the tarted up options

·
Super Moderator
37,491 Posts
trucks need to get back closer to being what they used to be but i dont think we will see that happen too much $ to be made with all the tarted up options
You can still buy a pretty basic truck if you are so inclined. Less than $28k in the US after incentives and before and dealing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
First it will be teams, then product and finally plants.

We have seen this story before.

I was open minded. Stellantis closed it for me.
Can you stop catastrophizing? Stellantis hasn't had time to make any such decisions, and none of this matches up with what's coming out of corporate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder, not to directly compete with the Gadiator, in they might good the unibody, compact route, as opposed to midsized (if this report from GM Authority is true)?

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I was still employed by Chrysler I'd be hoarding my $$$ and fearing for my job ! Good luck to those still working there.

Reactions: Rannenthi
41 - 60 of 118 Posts