Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 Quad Cab 4x2 4.7L Dakota. With the 16 inch wheels.. It's currently running 3 different size tires on it. I do intend to haul & Tow with it.. Has anyone put 235/ 85 16's on theirs? Or should I just stay with the 245/75 16's?

·
Got parts?
2,603 Posts
I've not, but I'd stay close to the original size, and use LT instead of passenger (or highway) tires.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Unless you have the HD suspension your truck isn’t going to weight enough or carry enough to need LT tires. Only a few specific combinations used LT tires.

Once a tire place put LT tires on mine by mistake. They tried to tell me it was an upgrade. Probably did cost more, but it rode worse and handled worse even at the lower PSI. The finally relented and out the correct P rated tires on.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
There are going to be a few factors to consider.
1) is overall diameter close? If not you’ll need to reprogram do the speedometer is correct.
2) is the load eating the same or grater?
3) is the rim width ok for the narrower tire?
4) are you willing to give up handling with less tread on the ground and a taller sidewalk?

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are going to be a few factors to consider.
1) is overall diameter close? If not you’ll need to reprogram do the speedometer is correct.
2) is the load eating the same or grater?
3) is the rim width ok for the narrower tire?
4) are you willing to give up handling with less tread on the ground and a taller sidewalk?
Diameter is close enough that the speedometer won't bother me.
Load rating Higher
With is 10mm narrower.. It's running a 245/75 now
The handling shouldn't be an issue, as I'll be putting better springs on the rear. I'm hoping to use it for towing maybe 5-8 times a year at most.. and my trucks will generally see a heavy load once or twice a year..
I do not haul or tow enough to justify a Full size much less a 2500.. My Dakotas have always been fine with an occasional workout.
As for ride.. We have other vehicles for a cushy ride.. I don't have a problem with my trucks riding like trucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts