Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed that underneath the passenger's side that the muffler was showing, so I crawled underneath and noticed that the bracket holding the muffler up was broken and the muffler was dented. Looks like maybe vehicle was jacked up in the wrong spot or i ran over something, Either way, way, it matters not now. I was able to secure the muffler in place by coming up with another bracket, homemade fix. When I have been driving for while and stop at a red light, etc, I notice a ticking noise as the muffler is hot and it kind of sounds like when you first turn on heater and you hear ticking noise,. However, muffler never did this before and I am also noticing a little lag in performance.

How much damage can be done to a muffler and it still do what it is supposed to do? Is it necessary to have it replaced?

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
Many muffler shops will inspect an exhaust system for free (It helps to sell work).
I have straightened and tightened exhaust heat shields that attach to the floor. Heat shields expand and contract and can make a ticking/pinging noise.
With the Stow-n'-Go seating, the exhaust pipe is routed around the spare tire and floor pan seat wells. It needs to clear these objects or a fire hazard may exist.
I would recommend a front to back exhaust inspection for bent or mis-aligned pipes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many muffler shops will inspect an exhaust system for free (It helps to sell work).
I have straightened and tightened exhaust heat shields that attach to the floor. Heat shields expand and contract and can make a ticking/pinging noise.
With the Stow-n'-Go seating, the exhaust pipe is routed around the spare tire and floor pan seat wells. It needs to clear these objects or a fire hazard may exist.
I would recommend a front to back exhaust inspection for bent or mis-aligned pipes.
oH YEAH BTW, no more spare tire because the bracket that holds it up broke and it will not stay up there. One day when going over railroad tracks, it just fell off, And maybe when it was there it muffled some of the noise. Anyway, I guess I should go get it at least inspected, I was trying to avoid that but, you are right thank you for the comment
I just do not ever recall hearing ticking and it is right under the passengers side 2nd row right over the muffler,

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,808 Posts
I agree with I C. Have the exhaust system inspected. If it didn't tick before it was damaged I'd expect the damaged muffler or the homemade bracket to be the source of the ticking.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with I C. Have the exhaust system inspected. If it didn't tick before it was damaged I'd expect the damaged muffler or the homemade bracket to be the source of the ticking.
It was ticket long before the homemade bracket but the damage does not look like,that much. I will post a pic as soon as i get a chance to take one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts