Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was bored and looking over our September ordering guide and noticed something interesting...

The 2.4L which is now standard is listed at 2 different gas mileages, one for the engine when equipped in the SXT, Rallye and Limited and then when it is on the GT.

So on the SXT, Rallye and Limited the MPG is listed at 36 mpg with the manual and 35 with the automatic!

While on the GT we get the 33 mpg with the manual and 31 with the automatic.

This is HUGE difference from what i was thinking and now makes PERFECT sense why they switched to the 2.4L as standard, has this been mentioned before or is this new?

Or is the 9 speed making its debut in the Dart for 2014 and that explains this? Nvm, it states that those are the MPG ratings using the 6 speed...

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They also have this posted earlier in the PDF though I didn't think anything of it when i first read it.

New More Powerful & Fuel-Efficient Powertrain Lineup
 2.4L 184 hp Tigershark 4-cylinder with MultiAir® II Technology is now standard on
SXT, Rallye and Limited Models – delivers +24 hp and +26 lb-ft of torque and an
estimated +1 MPG highway vs. the 2.0L!
 GT maintains a unique air intake, engine calibration, transmission ratios, exhaust,
and performance steering and suspension for even more enhanced driving
engagement and performance

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If true, and I think it is, this is HUGE news for the Dart, and if it really does make a big difference in the feel of the car may eliminate pretty much all of the complaints about the Dart.

They also state they have changed the seat design for 2014 to improve comfort. (the other thing they often complain about in reviews)

New Interior Enhancements
 New Seat Design for improved comfort (passenger in-seat storage no longer available)
 New Seat fabric for an enhanced premium appearance
 SE / SXT / Aero: Sedoso cloth with Sport Mesh Inserts – replaces Axel Cloth; New
accent stitching on SXT seats
 Rallye: New Sedoso Cloth with accent stripes and stitching on seats; new accent
stitching on IP cluster brow and center armrest
 New perforated Nappa leather inserts on Limited
 New color-coordinated Floating Island Bezel Insert
 New Front Speaker Design to reduce windshield glare

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Dart improvements sound fantastic!

Reactions: XRT2SRT

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Cool, good job everyone to clarify these changes.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Nice find!

So the GT sounds like it's tuned more for performance, where the "regular" 2.4 is a very class competitive MPG engine, albeit a bit "slower"

Makes perfect sense to me.

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave said:
Posted a news story, updating the Dart specs page next...
Actually you need to edit the story, even the GT gas mileage for the Automatic has increased to 31mpg apparently. It definitely would appear that the press kit was using the 2013 ratings and they have done something to increase them across the board.

That or we are completely wrong and going to be very let down here in the near future :p
That actually COMPLETELY changes the competitiveness of the 2.4L as far as gas mileage goes that we were comparing before as well... puts it much nearer the top of the heap for 2.4/2.5L engines.

and that is still WITHOUT the 9 speed.

39 MPG 2.4L with the 9 speed?

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
39 mpg... It is possible.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/09/dart-2-4-now-36-mpg

So, since it didn't post as an AN on the forum here, I am posting it. Because I feel compelled to comment on it.

And my comment is: THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!!! Given the reactions of the dealers, I should think this will make you feel a lot better (I recall a reaction saying it seemed like they were giving up on it). Looks like not so much. Assuming these numbers are accurate, this fits the Dart's image way better. But really, retuning accounted for a 5 MPG difference with the automatic?? That's pretty crazy. Especially because it's now better than the 2.0 with an automatic? I definitely like the new packaging with these numbers in tow. With new advertising, I should hope this will give a breath of life to dart sales. And the 9 spd, when it finally arrives will just help.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Great news, but somewhat expected. There was no way they could have replaced most of the lineup with the 2.4 if it yielded only 30 MPG with the automatic.

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AutoTechnician said:
Great news, but somewhat expected. There was no way they could have replaced most of the lineup with the 2.4 if it yielded only 30 MPG with the automatic.
True, the big question is, with a 5 mpg difference between the GT and the other spec cars, how much more aggressive is the gearing etc in the GT? One would assume pretty damn aggressive to make the difference so great. The GT should be an interesting drive, my first one should be here soon.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
"No way" you say. Except that, per the article, all the data that had come out showed only 30 mpg highway with the automatic even in the other models. All news that had come forth, until now confirmed that, so even though we might have "expected" an increase, that was not the word on the street. Which was very, very discouraging news to me, especially, I think, the dealers. It certainly didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Additionally, it is not common for a manufacterer to have such a large gap in MPG solely because of gearing. I didn't expect to see such a drastic improvement. Now that it can do better than the 2.0 with the automatic in highway, I think the benefits of multiair are more visible. Putting all of this together. 38 MPG in the new 200 now seems pretty realistic.

·
Premium Member
20,078 Posts
I will say I am happier to hear this, especially with the technology in the engine. I wonder what they did to improve the numbers. Fuel tables and curves I would imagine at this point.

·
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bumonbox said:
"No way" you say. Except that, per the article, all the data that had come out showed only 30 mpg highway with the automatic even in the other models. All news that had come forth, until now confirmed that, so even though we might have "expected" an increase, that was not the word on the street. Which was very, very discouraging news to me, especially, I think, the dealers. It certainly didn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Additionally, it is not common for a manufacterer to have such a large gap in MPG solely because of gearing. I didn't expect to see such a drastic improvement. Now that it can do better than the 2.0 with the automatic in highway, I think the benefits of multiair are more visible. Putting all of this together. 38 MPG in the new 200 now seems pretty realistic.
Yup, the 9 speed will most likely add 3-4MPG

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
JRS200x said:
Yup, the 9 speed will most likely add 3-4MPG
It seems likely. The powertech transmissions don't seem to be anything special. Especially considering, it seems like the automatic / manual MPG disparity is not present in many vehicles today. And of course, with the ever improving automatics, the automatics are getting the upper hand. So with the 9 spd, I'd expect some class leading MPG for a larger engine (39 MPG wouldn't be class leading on it's own, but for a larger 4 cylinder with the extra juice, it would be).

So here is a question. How long are they going to produce the standard WGE 2.4 alongside the tigershark? Given the rumor the Avenger will soldier on for a bit, I would be quite curious to see if the tigershark will land in it.

In either case, it seems like they are getting more serious about the dart, with the new packaging, I really expect to see sales bounce. I'd hope into the teens.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts