Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,723 Posts
I am a bit confused by the separate EPA numbers. The reason is that in vehicles that still offer gear ratio choices (I am thinking that is only trucks any more) there is no separate rating based on the gear ratio, but rather a number based on the weighted predeicted sales averages of the options. So it must mean the 2.4 for the GT has a higher outout for the various reasons listed in the news article for it to be rated differently from the rest.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,448 Posts
valiant67,

Dodge Darts are only listed on the EPA site for 2013, before the 2.4 was put onto SXT and Limited. Therefore, I think we can safely say those are unweighted numbers.

I believe Dodge will have separate ratings for Limited/SXT and for GT for 2014.

I would not ready anything into the EPA figures right now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems astonishing given the window stickers of the GT's on the lots currently, 2.4 with 6 speed automatics, show 21 city; 30 hwy; and 24 combined.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Maybe this is another Hyundai blunder in the making?

Hard to see how it could make such a large jump without serious changes.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
dana44 said:
I will say I am happier to hear this, especially with the technology in the engine. I wonder what they did to improve the numbers. Fuel tables and curves I would imagine at this point.
Me too, I am sure they went through the timing a fuel curves with a fine tooth comb to help match up the transmission gearing.

It's impressive.

Dave said:
valiant67,

Dodge Darts are only listed on the EPA site for 2013, before the 2.4 was put onto SXT and Limited. Therefore, I think we can safely say those are unweighted numbers.

I believe Dodge will have separate ratings for Limited/SXT and for GT for 2014.

I would not ready anything into the EPA figures right now.
Well said Dave. It is very possible that there are specific tunes per model.

Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
JRS200x said:
If true, and I think it is, this is HUGE news for the Dart, and if it really does make a big difference in the feel of the car may eliminate pretty much all of the complaints about the Dart.

They also state they have changed the seat design for 2014 to improve comfort. (the other thing they often complain about in reviews)
Any talk about changing the 8.4 touch screen? I would love to be able to use my sunroof and still be able to read what the screen says.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Well, this is a pleasant surprise if it holds out until the production models. I really was hoping that they weren't going to have an agressive gearing for the "regular" 2.4L in the darts, and that they would make some other changes with the engining and the tuning to get it for more MPG. I am very glad if they managed this...or maybe the 2.4L going into the next darts will also have the DI that they said they were working on for incorperating into the update of MA?

·
Registered
156 Posts
EXCELLENT NEWS!

With the combination of the forthcoming 9-speed and its improvements, the Dart should have nothing holding it back from being competitive.

*fingers crossed*

·
Registered
650 Posts
When can we expect the nine speed tranny in the Dart? As for the comment about changing the ratios in the transmission, which transmission, the six-speed automatic, or the stick shift? I'd be very surprised if they changed any of the gear ratios in the automatic, more like just change the transaxle ratios.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Keep in mind, my 95 Prelude has a 2.3 engine with 5-spd. My friends Accord has the same HP, same size engine with 5-spd. Mine turns more revs in high gear by quite a bit, and his gets 35 or so hwy, while I am lucky to break 31 in a lighter car. Granted, I can smoke a lot of unsuspecting cars with the Prelude, as opposed to the laid back, okay power of the Accord. I can see this difference in MPG based on my own similar experience. I want one now BADDDDD.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is it April 1st again? I'll go down on the record as saying I can't believe that the automatic 2.4L equipped Dart SXT will be rated at 35mpg freeway while the GT at the same time is rated at 30mpg freeway. If it's actually the 6-speed that's a misprint and it is a result of the new 9-speed being standard, that I could believe.

*edit*
http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-dodge-dart-makes-2-4l-i-4-volume-engine-dual-clutch-on-aero-402589.html#axzz2eXNqY5t6

"Filling the 2.0-liter and turbocharged 1.4-liter’s role as the main attraction in the Dart lineup is the 2.4-liter I-4. Previously exclusive to the Dart GT, the 2.4-liter I-4 makes 184 hp and 171 lb-ft of torque, and can be paired with a six-speed manual, or a six-speed automatic. The new volume engine is rated at 23/33/27 mpg with the manual and 21/30/24 mpg with the auto. According to Dodge, the 2.4-liter I-4 will achieve a higher EPA rating in the Dart SXT and Limited, due to unique engine and transmission tuning, low-rolling resistance tires, and reduced vehicle weight."

I am prepared to be shocked.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting...

Just performed a service on the wife's Integra at basically 142,000 miles, will have to go back in to deal with a fairly severe fluid leak that may be a steering rack issue. Since her car is only a two-door just about anything would be an improvement in that sense, and she's really wanting to try to get at least as good of fuel economy as she gets now, which is about 30mpg average.

Her car still has some life in it, but I'm always considering possible replacements, and I fully expect even the SXT version of the car with the 2.4 will have more power than her 1.8L B18B1. If it also has the fuel economy numbers to match or exceed then that makes it a lot easier as well. For all I know we'll need a different type of vehicle by that point, we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,038 Posts
Paul J. Reed said:
I knew the reason I should have waited for 2014's would show up eventually.....
Just trade it in or put it up for sale and get a 2014 2.4L.

I suppose you would be loosing the dealer mark up on the old car and paying the dealer mark up on the new car. Unless you can talk them down.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,448 Posts
Just spoke to another very happy 1.4 Dart owner. All depends how much city driving you do. The 2.0 isn't terrible, honestly. I think 70% of drivers could have that for 12 years and never be unhappy with the power.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dave said:
Just spoke to another very happy 1.4 Dart owner. All depends how much city driving you do. The 2.0 isn't terrible, honestly. I think 70% of drivers could have that for 12 years and never be unhappy with the power.
I've seen reviews in the magazines with the 1.4T claiming 19.5mpg and 33.5mpg, so it definitely depends on how you drive it. I think that's generally the case when you have a very heavy car matched with an engine that only makes power if you use heavy throttle. It can be geared to return decent gas mileage, if you don't dig into it a lot, but if you do, it just plummets.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts