Allpar Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
srt4evah said:
I've seen reviews in the magazines with the 1.4T claiming 19.5mpg and 33.5mpg, so it definitely depends on how you drive it. I think that's generally the case when you have a very heavy car matched with an engine that only makes power if you use heavy throttle. It can be geared to return decent gas mileage, if you don't dig into it a lot, but if you do, it just plummets.
And what grade gas you use.

·
Super Moderator
32,658 Posts
66coronet said:
Just trade it in or put it up for sale and get a 2014 2.4L.

I suppose you would be loosing the dealer mark up on the old car and paying the dealer mark up on the new car. Unless you can talk them down.
Depreciation would be the biggest hit.

My wife's 2012 Chrysler 200 listed for $22,500. We paid a good deal less, thanks to a corporate discount. But one year later at 15K miles, the trade-in value is only $12,610, according to KBB; and private party sale is $13,930.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dave said:
Just spoke to another very happy 1.4 Dart owner. All depends how much city driving you do. The 2.0 isn't terrible, honestly. I think 70% of drivers could have that for 12 years and never be unhappy with the power.
I agree about the 2.0's power, have driven my son's 2.0/auto Dart on the highway and back roads, and it is just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I would agree, too. It is not a "race car" but I think it is just fine. My wife thinks it could use a bit more power but I personally think it is enough for us and most people.

By the way, isn't it true that VVT isn't fully coming into play until you are over like 3500 miles? So after 4k miles these cars might feel a bit better, too. We are at just under 3k now.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I dont know about the vvt delay but our Journey has more power than when it was new too, according to the covering of my derriere. (The seat of my pants) at 30K

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that, too, with our 2.4L Journey...

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Bob Lincoln said:
Depreciation would be the biggest hit.

My wife's 2012 Chrysler 200 listed for $22,500. We paid a good deal less, thanks to a corporate discount. But one year later at 15K miles, the trade-in value is only $12,610, according to KBB; and private party sale is $13,930.
Yup, all that really matters when it comes to trade in value on a pretty new car is what are they selling for new right now? If you could buy a $22,000 car for $18,000, well what would make it attractive to a used car buyer? It has to be more than a $1,000 less than new right or you'd just buy new? Well we also need negotiation room (typically around $3,000 here), so you are looking at a retail on that car now of $16,000 at most? Which means $13,000 appraisal, most likely less because even $2,000 is not much less than what new costs.

THAT is why NADA and especially kelley trade in values mean so little.

·
Premium Member
20,250 Posts
hmk123 said:
I would agree, too. It is not a "race car" but I think it is just fine. My wife thinks it could use a bit more power but I personally think it is enough for us and most people.

By the way, isn't it true that VVT isn't fully coming into play until you are over like 3500 miles? So after 4k miles these cars might feel a bit better, too. We are at just under 3k now.
So true, but they need to change the commercials for it to reflect what the car is, not what they try to sell the Dart as. Sets too many test drives up as a disappointment.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,062 Posts
Jace is going to roll over 20,000 this tank; and the mpg depends on how you drive and where you drive, and what fuel is used. For example:

I have maxed out at about 51.8mpg, and my worst was 20.6; the worst mileage was from idling for long periods of time with the AC on in between driving stints (at storage, loading up the truck for the move east); while the best was following the truck at 60mph with cruise on, in 6th gear (which puts it at about 2000rpm), through the flat-lands of Texas; even had the AC on.

My average since moving here, has been 31-33mpg. I live on a gravel road, in a hilly area of GA, and am primarily driving at 45-55mph in 4th gear (which puts it at around 3000-3200 RPM constantly), because I need to be in the torque curve for the hills, especially when toting around 3 people (aside from myself) that each weigh 260lbs+. I also have been driving with my AC on nearly 100% of the time.

Oddly enough, the handling has not been affected by being fully-loaded like that, but the braking distance (obviously) has. The car handles awesomely, even on gravel; i have to work to get it to slide when the TCS is on, not as hard, but still difficult (without parking brake; haven't tried with) with it off. It's a fun car to play with; having fun on the looped on-ramps scares people sometimes, i'll admit though. lol. For instance, aking a "35mph recommended" at 45-50mph, with just a little squeak from the tires is normal (remember, having fun, not an every day occurrence, since the speed limit is like 55 around here anyway). My favorite thing about the car. The brakes have saved my butt a few times too, once in Az, and a couple times here.

When you 'launch' it right, it can get up & go pretty frigging quick. lol; I usually tap the gas just enough to get some air moving before going from a stop. You can spin the tires pretty well with the TCS ON. I have done a straight burn-out (unintentionally, on dry road no less) with the TCS on. In fact I think I burn more rubber with it on, than off (i usually drive with it off unless there's inclement weather).

The only issue I've "run into" with Jace, is the taller guys entering the car. The doors don't open far enough for them; if they opened to 90-degrees that'd be far better. The tallest of them (at like 6'6") complains about it most (the bfs youngest brother); although from what I can see, he doesn't have a huge problem; just a lack of leg room from being so tall. lol -- you can see why prefer trucks/suvs; getting "down" into my car is a hassle for them; but I suppose they're outside the 'norm' of height/weight for the average consumer, eh?

Other than that, he's been damn near perfect; no recalls necessary so far. However I have had that stutter in 3rd gear, but it's not enough to bother going to the dealer about, to me.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts