Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dart was #9 in a Edmonds comparison of 44 compact cars, that's right there are 44 in the US to choose from! Sure is a lot better than the usual traling below Hyundai,. Interesting that American vehicles are near the top, I like that. From the review I think it would have been higher if it weren't for some of the stigma that is included in Chrysler reviews. Looks like its just a matter of time that Chrysler vehicles will be one of the absolute top contenders. For the nay sayers all newly introduced vehicles come with glitches. Its just too bad we couldn't test them in Japan first. A good place might be Hawaii where a good chunk of the people are from all over the world. There is something about that place that puts you in a good frame of mind, :)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Dart just needs more advertizing..

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
I will say this, I see Dart commercials all the time on TV.

9th out of 44. I'll have to read the article.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
Not bad, honestly, for a first-year vehicle. Ford has had that focus for years at this point, we're just finally getting it, and the rest of the crowd has also had time.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Suz, did you post the review of your new car and I missed it? I see the pretty picture...

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike V. said:
I will say this, I see Dart commercials all the time on TV.

9th out of 44. I'll have to read the article.
It was about two weeks ago, can't find it again. may have been re directed by a link, wasn't looking for the Dart but now its stuck in my brain, when that happens I have to stay away from a Chrysler dealer. :D

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
lvelleq (o)llllll(o) said:
Suz, did you post the review of your new car and I missed it? I see the pretty picture...
lol, no, no review. I didn't know one was required. xD

.. btw, a link to this article would be helpful. o_O

·
Registered
246 Posts
At a recent car show I had a close up look at the Dart. Seems it's much larger than it's Asian competitors. Size/weight affect mileage and of course engine response. Down here in SW FL the Asian brands own the market with their cheaper, smaller, lighter cars. The Dart is a step up from the pack offering more but costing more. The point of sale, price point affects sales and that is fact. With the Dart costing almost as much as a Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger the Dart market niche is fuzzy ..........

I understand the logic of using another vehicles platform to cut costs, however that is hurting the Darts mission to compete in the compact segment where price and mileage numbers rule ?

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
If 41 highway is low milage for you, then you should be looking at a hybrid.

I still say the only thing that really hurts the dart is the cash on the hood of the 200/Avenger. Makes it near impossible not to go for them over the Dart.

I love my Dart, the heated wheel and seats are awesome, the nav, and tft are great, especially combined. I love the back-up camera as I am short & rarely can tell exactly how close I am to what is behind me, park-sense has saved me from running over a bicyclist at night that was wearing black once too, so.. The dart is an awesome car, and far more equipped for the price.

"Why not get a mid size for the price of a loaded limited?" Because that midsize would be a baser model.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see the Dart kinda like the Dakota, the slightly larger size worked till it got too big and pricey. Dart is still getting adjusted to its market but since each division must be accountable for its success it cannot make up for losses in truck sales. Prices aren;t bad when compared to the other US brands and as far as the Asians only Hyundai and Kia have a real price advantage. Those cars are a real threat although I do not think the interiors are comparable. look like Tonka play boxes to me. On the other hand that might be what new young drivers are looking for.

I am finding that in order to get me in a smaller more fuel efficient car I need a hatchback to make it more versatile than my Challenger. Dart cannot accommodate my hardware store, flea market, beach trips. I can get everything in the Challenger that I carried in mu Jeep GC. I will only move to a car that gets more than 32 MPG or more combined. That's the only thing that makes any kind of economic sense. If you factor in purchase price I'll stay with what I got, its paid for.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Just like pretty much any vehicle - you are pulled in with the low-spec base model price and then sold up into the more popular trims.

·
Registered
163 Posts
"In fact, available features and the numerous ‘personalization’ options are the Dart's greatest strengths, as room and driving dynamics are nothing special compared to its rivals." -- Consumer Guide
I thought the Dart had the most room in its class?
Yet I like other quotes stating that the car is fun to drive?

·
Registered
246 Posts
suzq044 said:
If 41 highway is low milage for you, then you should be looking at a hybrid.

I still say the only thing that really hurts the dart is the cash on the hood of the 200/Avenger. Makes it near impossible not to go for them over the Dart.

I love my Dart, the heated wheel and seats are awesome, the nav, and tft are great, especially combined. I love the back-up camera as I am short & rarely can tell exactly how close I am to what is behind me, park-sense has saved me from running over a bicyclist at night that was wearing black once too, so.. The dart is an awesome car, and far more equipped for the price.

"Why not get a mid size for the price of a loaded limited?" Because that midsize would be a baser model.
41 MPG ............. in the real world or on the sticker ? I'd have to see that to believe it !

The 200 & Avengers are eating the Darts lunch and are the best buys in the market right now bar none. The lease deals on the 200 Limited are unbelievable, check that out.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Let's not forget that the Dart is heavier, in part because it's safer. Remember the white one that was crashed early on by a family member of a Chrysler employee? They walked away, when they would have been cut out of a foreign car - dead or alive.

My dealer started out with loaded Darts, but now has 4 of them priced in the $16K to $17K range - all SE/Aero models with the 2.0L engine; 3 automatics and one manual. Look at the sticker, they are WELL-equipped. At least in my opinion. My Daytona in today's dollars would list for about $24K and have far fewer features than these cars.

·
Registered
435 Posts
GuidoFL said:
41 MPG ............. in the real world or on the sticker ? I'd have to see that to believe it !
On my highway trips from Michigan to Wisconsin, I easily obtain the EPA estimate of 37mpg with the 1.4/Automatic.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
PASSENGER VOLUME:
  • Dart: 97.20
  • Impreza: 96.90
  • Forte: 96.80
  • Sentra: 95.90
  • Elantra: 95.60
  • Civic: 94.60
  • Cruze: 94.60
  • Mazda3: 94.10
  • Lancer: 93.50
  • Corolla: 92.10
  • Focus: 90.70
For reference, the 200 is 100.30 and the Avenger is 100.20.

·
2,570 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
Let's not forget that the Dart is heavier, in part because it's safer. Remember the white one that was crashed early on by a family member of a Chrysler employee? They walked away, when they would have been cut out of a foreign car - dead or alive.
http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e4s1&lotId=12210503&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e4s1&lotId=30445982&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

Check out these real life crash tests. I am impressed, airbags everywhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts