Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The market really needs a low cost Dart Convertible in the $20,000 to $22,000 price range there is a big market void for convertibles at this price point . The Chrysler 200 convertible is too overpriced in my opinion for what it is.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
I am afraid the convertible 200 may go away entirely since it's selling poorly with nothing to replace it.
Although at least the 2015 200 article says the convertible shoudl still be around.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I agree on both accounts. Convertibles are more expensive to build, requires extra engineering to make them safe and not bend up like a pretzel, and at the same time, wouldn't this make it easier to have a 2door Dart?

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,994 Posts
Hmm. There's a thought; i'm going to start this with a previous thought in response to what you said Dave; which was "why have more than 1 convertible in the showroom?"

Okay, so there's the Sebr..err. 200, right? Odds are it'll be a convertible too. I wonder if the upcoming Avenger might?

·
Fits and Finishes
1,108 Posts
dana44 said:
I agree on both accounts. Convertibles are more expensive to build, requires extra engineering to make them safe and not bend up like a pretzel, and at the same time, wouldn't this make it easier to have a 2door Dart?
Yes, why isn't there a two-door Dart (and 200, 300, Charger)?

·
Registered
749 Posts
If I recall correctly body-on-frame convertibles in the 1950s had a 200lb to 400lb "X" brace added to the center of the frame to recover part of the strength and rigidity that was added by the roof on their coupe or sedan counterparts. Unit body cars would probably need a similar "X" brace which would displace other components that occupy that space. The exhaust system, driveshaft for RWD and AWD cars, brake lines, fuel lines, even fuel tank might have to be moved.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
Mopartial said:
Yes, why isn't there a two-door Dart (and 200, 300, Charger)?
Because there is no longer a substantial market for 2 door cars like their used to be. I don't understand it, but the market isn't there any more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts