Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove the Dar GT for the first time.... and all I can say is YEA BABY!!!! I can only imaagine what this baby is going to do with the 9speed. Dont get me wrong you wont be racing Mustangs but it is now "fun to drive" The SRT will be the beast...if that is what you want. But IMHO the GT delivers on the fun promise. I can also see the justifcation for the lessor MPGs this baby really revs!!!! I also LOVE the interior.... If this interior was availble on the 2013 we would have been in much better shape. Also note the pricing aint bad for this pkg..... This one is loaded pretty nicely only missing moonroof and Navigaion.....evrthing else is there.. I personally would have ordered it without the tech Pkg and added the Navigation....

compared to a loaded Dart LTD on my showroom floor with a MSRP of $28,270 the GT looks like a STEAL

they are getting there.....

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Alright, Suz, what do you think? Would you still have ordered what you got?

I want the door panels...

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
"GT" in the center cross hairs of the grill would have been a nice, distinctive touch. Kind of like the 67's which was one of the nicest grills Dodge ever made IMO.

Reactions: AdminDave

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The seats look really cool!

·
Registered
719 Posts
SRT Dart is not going to happen. Ralph Gilles said at SEMA last year that they will no longer do an SRT car with less than 8 cylinders.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Darkpaw said:
SRT Dart is not going to happen. Ralph Gilles said at SEMA last year that they will no longer do an SRT car with less than 8 cylinders.
Sad, since the first "true" SRT vehicle was a 4-cylinder. Viper already existed, and the Ram SRT-10 came a year later than the Dodge SRT-4...

Truthfully, the 4-cylinder performance market is dramatically different today than it was 10 years ago. 10 years ago the SRT-4 was a revelation, a 230hp+ monster among 170-200hp competition. Turned the whole segment upside down.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
srt4evah said:
Sad, since the first "true" SRT vehicle was a 4-cylinder. Viper already existed, and the Ram SRT-10 came a year later than the Dodge SRT-4...
Its not officially dead yet but hasnt been greenlite either. But I would look for 9spd, an R/T turbo, and a hybrid in the next 2-3 years

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
Alright, Suz, what do you think? Would you still have ordered what you got?

I want the door panels...
Yes. I wanted the 1.4L turbo. :) However, I may have leaned towards the Mopar '13, if I had the choice, but it would be tough. lol

Also - the interior is a 2013 Interior. It's just exclusive to the GT this year. You could either get it in the red, like you see, or perforated, where you can see the red through the black. (like in the press-release images of the R/T)

As far as what giles said, he says it's the most asked about potential SRT; and that there's not a good powertrain for it right now (when he last spoke about it). That does not mean they're not developing it. It'll just be after their little 'barracuda' project probably.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Can someone explain how "frequency sensing dampers" work, and what the effect would be of having those over the standard suspension?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If I had the guess, it's marketing fluff for shocks that have disc-type valving with two (or more) damping circuits.

The "low speed" or "low frequency" circuit is in play on roads with decent surface quality. The low-speed circuit would probably have a high damping rate to provide a firm ride and help control body movements during aggressive driving. The "high speed" or "high frequency" circuit, is basically a blow-off for the low-speed circuit if there is a sudden spike in pressure. Basically it is for when you hit a pothole, or are just driving on very rough roads. It will have a much lower damping rate to help isolate harsh bumps from the cabin.

This is just a guess though, it's hard to tell what marketing buzzwords mean a lot of the time. Might be worth sending Ralph a message on twitter or something to clarify.

Standard shocks typically have fixed porting, so if you make them soft for potholes, they may be too soft for normal driving. Fancier shocks add disc-type valves which offer more flexibility, but multi-circuit shocks are a step above yet.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
Roy Thigpen said:
A dart with a V8? Sounds good to me
V-8 2.4L with MDS so it's 1.2L some of the time. Red line 7000 rpm.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Darkpaw said:
NOT TRUE. Ralph already debunked that rumor.
BigDaddySRT said:
Talk to Koni... they make the Internals to these FSD Shocks on the ABARTH.

http://www.koni-na.com/fsd.cfm
The ones on the Dart are made by MM.
http://www.magnetimarelli.com/business_areas/suspension-systems/shock-absorbers/synaptic-damping-control

Reactions: AdminDave

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Great to hear!

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Moparian said:
NOT TRUE. Ralph already debunked that rumor.
No doubt, someone misconstrued something he had originally said. Certainly Chrysler isn't making any sub V8 SRTs RIGHT NOW. But I can't see them limiting themselves to that. Especially with past predictions of a tubo'd pentastar.
Assuming that a D-RWD Midsized sedan is in fact on it's way for Dodge, I have a hard time not seeing them doing an SRT version of it, and I don't forsee them giving up the "real estate" in the design to shoehorn the hemi into it (I could easily be wrong on that account). So, really, if it is to come to pass, I would imagine them bringing forth a turbo'd V6 down the road.

As far as the Dart goes, I actually think it would benefit more from an R/T turbo as mentioned about. Something with not a huge price bump that keeps it more accessable to the mainstream and boosts the Dart performance image. Something offering around the output of the Neon SRT-4. That would likely see decent sales. And if they can price it right, it would be a hot ticket item. Perhaps though, they are waiting to use the proposed hurricane engine - which might allow them to offer that performance and still do decently on MPG. That could make it a pretty hot car.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
bumonbox said:
No doubt, someone misconstrued something he had originally said. Certainly Chrysler isn't making any sub V8 SRTs RIGHT NOW. But I can't see them limiting themselves to that. Especially with past predictions of a tubo'd pentastar.
Assuming that a D-RWD Midsized sedan is in fact on it's way for Dodge, I have a hard time not seeing them doing an SRT version of it, and I don't forsee them giving up the "real estate" in the design to shoehorn the hemi into it (I could easily be wrong on that account). So, really, if it is to come to pass, I would imagine them bringing forth a turbo'd V6 down the road.

As far as the Dart goes, I actually think it would benefit more from an R/T turbo as mentioned about. Something with not a huge price bump that keeps it more accessable to the mainstream and boosts the Dart performance image. Something offering around the output of the Neon SRT-4. That would likely see decent sales. And if they can price it right, it would be a hot ticket item. Perhaps though, they are waiting to use the proposed hurricane engine - which might allow them to offer that performance and still do decently on MPG. That could make it a pretty hot car.
Something along the lines of a Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3 that out preforms them at a similar price point ~$24,000

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I drove a 1.4T, now I gotta drive one of these. I WILL own a 2.4 Dart, just a question of which one. If the GT is too stiff for daily comfort, I would go with another trim, but the chassis feel was awesome on the SXT I drove.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
PCRMike said:
I drove a 1.4T, now I gotta drive one of these. I WILL own a 2.4 Dart, just a question of which one. If the GT is too stiff for daily comfort, I would go with another trim, but the chassis feel was awesome on the SXT I drove.
With the FSD suspension it shouldnt be too stiff during normal driving.....

1 - 20 of 123 Posts