Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Moparian said:
NOT TRUE. Ralph already debunked that rumor.
No doubt, someone misconstrued something he had originally said. Certainly Chrysler isn't making any sub V8 SRTs RIGHT NOW. But I can't see them limiting themselves to that. Especially with past predictions of a tubo'd pentastar.
Assuming that a D-RWD Midsized sedan is in fact on it's way for Dodge, I have a hard time not seeing them doing an SRT version of it, and I don't forsee them giving up the "real estate" in the design to shoehorn the hemi into it (I could easily be wrong on that account). So, really, if it is to come to pass, I would imagine them bringing forth a turbo'd V6 down the road.

As far as the Dart goes, I actually think it would benefit more from an R/T turbo as mentioned about. Something with not a huge price bump that keeps it more accessable to the mainstream and boosts the Dart performance image. Something offering around the output of the Neon SRT-4. That would likely see decent sales. And if they can price it right, it would be a hot ticket item. Perhaps though, they are waiting to use the proposed hurricane engine - which might allow them to offer that performance and still do decently on MPG. That could make it a pretty hot car.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
srt4evah said:
Uh yah, STi sure, which also stickers at $34,495.. the WRX starts at $25,995 and makes 265HP.

If the Dart made as much power as the Caliber SRT-4, 285HP, it would lead the pack of sub-$26,000 performance compacts.

Not true, the Gen IV Viper in 2010 was the class leader as well.
Personally, I feel like in the compact market, bang for buck and real world fun trumps winning wang measuring competitions. Personally, I'd rather see a more modest turbo at a mimimal upcharge (say, 1k if possible) for something like a 240 HP vehicle at something like 22k (1k over the GT). Especially if the MPG managed not to drop too far, it'd be the best balance of real world usable with the extra kick.

Most of the other vehicles mentioned seem to me to be more of a Niche.

It may not win matches, but would be more accessable to the daily drivers. Then they can follow up with the more Niche, more expensive "I will kill you all" version to win the matches.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
srt4evah said:
As a previous owner of Neon ACRs and a couple SRT-4s, Evo IX and X, I'd have to say it's not about any winning wang competitions for me either, BUT it is all about knowing that I got the best car for the money. If I'm paying $25k for a performance compact car, I wouldn't really feel I made the right purchase if I got a 240hp Dart when 265hp Focus ST and Mazdaspeed3 are available. It's not because I intend to stoplight race those cars every time I see them, but why would I buy less performance per dollar if I have a choice?

For that kind of buyer, the Dart GT or possible future R/T with a mild turbo setup is probably right up their alley. 230-240hp R/T would probably sit very well with a lot of people, but I'd rather see an SRT Dart with at least 280HP. I really don't think the SRT Dart needs 300HP or more, at 280HP it would be what the original SRT-4 was, class-leading.
lol, I am not sure we disagree. I'd like to see a 22-23k offering that is about being fun to drive and very accessible, but this would be a, as you said it, future GT or R/T offering. Just a high performance version meant to be a fun car, not win it all. Then, offer an SRT-4 version in addition. I don't personally believe it MUST have over 300 HP either. 280 or 290 with a still accessible price tag - not far off from Focus ST and Mazdaspeed territory.

I think we may well be on the same page.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
I'm sure the WRX STi is going to keep coming up, but really I don't think it should..

I think we can fairly say the company has a lot of things it is trying to focus on. Special performance versions of the dart are going to be contingent on a comment made by RG previously. Having the running gear available to make it work. I strongly suspect the management is not hugely interested in tasking their man power in resources into a niche "STi competitor", at least not yet.
They could pull it off. The company has invested in other niche programs. I think there is a real question though about the viability of a price tag excess of 30k at a company which, especially now, has a hard time selling compact cars. So I hope to see faster darts, but ones that are likely to be packaged and priced to actually sell. Not just for a happy image.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Moparian said:
I think that commercial is pretty poor, all it shows is the fads at the time with that generation Corolla placed somewhere in the scene. You basically go from the good RWD Corollas of the 70's and 80's to the bland appliances of the late 80's to 00's and end up with the latest Corolla while 100x better looking than the previous gen still doesnt do anything for me. Those "Coach T" commercials are even worse. While not effective, I'd much rather watch the Dart commercials with Pastrana driving like a nut on dirt roads than either of those.
Yeah, I hate the Corolla commercials. I mean showing the evolution is cool and all, but it'd be cooler on a car that wasn't so bloody bland. Then of course, like you said, just showing fads, the whole thing is cheesy as sin. More over, just like with many Honda commercials, it doesn't try to actually sell you on the car. Buy it because it's a Toyota! YEAH!!! And there are people dancing. Alas, Toyota and honda really don't need to advertise their midsized and compact cars, they sell themselves just fine, and they darn well know it. So instead they give us these commercials.

As much as we denounce the "Journey slip n slide" commercial, it is ultimately of the very caliber (haha) of most Toyota and Honda commercials. However, Chrysler does not have the luxury of cars that sell themselves the way Toyonda does. In order for Chrysler to succeed, it needs to work hard to overcome the perception it has. Any marketing screw up is hugely damanging to Chrysler, as it is the weapon it must use to combat a lot of public hate.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Mike V. said:
Never had trouble beating them on the street. Standard WRX's were easy pickens.

STi's are insane, if the driver knows what they are doing. Most do not.

Mike

I don't think it should either. That niche market is shrinking fast.

Mike
It certainly is. Note, rumor has it the Mitsu Lancer is not long for this world, and by extension the Evo version of it. Rumor I read is that Mitsu is going all midget mobils, and the evo will be on one of those, but I highly doubt as powerful.

That aside, These days, in the auto market, MPG is being listed before power output more often than not. The best liked vehicle is likely to be the one that still allows the driver to have fun, with out giving up MPG. At 23 MPG highway, the STi is going to have a fairly narrow audience. (By the way, the SRT-8 Dodge Charger gets the same highway, but lower combined). But yeah, focus less on beating the STi, as I doubt many will care about that in this category. Focus on offering a good package, that is fast, but also easy to live with, and pay for. As a company, it will pay off much better.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
I was behind a Town and Country tonight that was nearly brand new, and there was a line of bubble rust along the entire length of the bottom edge of the tailgate, about 2 inches high, scabby. Saw the same thing on an almost-new Ram the other day.
My 2002 Chrysler 300m, has little to no rust on the sheet metal, and little under. The 2004 Town & Country is rusting something fierce, especially the rocker panels. That alone will drive me to replace it before the 300m.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.