Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
"GT" in the center cross hairs of the grill would have been a nice, distinctive touch. Kind of like the 67's which was one of the nicest grills Dodge ever made IMO.

Reactions: AdminDave

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Back in the day it took a few years for the Dart to become a performer. The 273 4V was a decent runner but performance didn't really take off until 68 with the introduction of the 340. GT's were more of an appearance package....trim, bucket seats. The GTS had it all.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
The original Dart did wonders for Dodge's reputation for outstanding reliability and engineering excellence, mostly from the /6 variant though. This is why I don't quite understand the lack of marketing linking the new Dart to the near epic reputation of its predecessor. In reality, the basic 60/70's Darts were very boring cars....but very boring cars that sold very well to a diverse demographic. It could be anything from a plane jane grocery getter, take grandma to church on Sunday, to king of the drag strip in GTS form. I think the 68 Hurst Hemi Darts still dominate the A stock automatic class today. IMO, The key to the success of the new Dart is finding this broad market appeal. The GT is a step in the right direction of doing this. Just a step though....we need a true GTS (for grandma's Sunday trips to church) LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Here's the interesting thing....Darts and Valiants basically sold themselves back in the day. Reliability will still sell today. Glitz will only get you so far. The Dart appealed to a very wide demographic from young families, to hot rodders, to old men in hats. I actually enjoyed the Corolla commercial. BTW - New Yorker was the longest continuously used name plate on an American car, 1938 - 1996, before being discontinued.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.