Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
neongary said:
If a Mopar product is going to be competitive again in the performance 4 cyl. arena they are going to need 300 hp to keep up, especially with cars like the turbo 305 hp Subaru WRX and a 201 hp NA Honda. I'd like to see a SRT4 Dart and I believe "if they will build it, they will come".
As much as I would hope RG would have an STI in his sights for the performance level of the Dart I just don't think it will be set that high. The WRX is more attainable but I personally don't know how good the AWD parts bin is with FIAT/Chrysler. FWD cars with high HP/TQ is not exactly in the performance handbook and is generally horrible to drive. Fun yes, but asking the front wheels to steer and put 300hp on the ground at the same time is something nobody has done well (IMO). Does FIAT/Chrysler have access to a solid AWD system that is comparable to Subi they could use?

The Neon SRT and STI's of the mid 2000's are not even comparable performance wise in my book.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mike V. said:
Then you don't know the capabilities of an SRT4.

Mike
I do, I've driven both of them and auto crossed both of my 06 STI's. At the time the cars were not even in the same race class. I'm not saying the Neon SRT's were dogs by any means, I loved, LOVED driving the SRT Neon and would expect the Dart to be much more capeable. I could only hope and dream that an SRT Dart would have a solid AWD system with 300hp as I could easily be a customer. I would expect a ~250hp FWD Dart.

Ralph knows what an STI is capeable of as he lost to a father and son team at the 2011 Targa Newfoundland Rally while driving a 2010 Dodge Viper ACR. Which as many of us know is an insanely fast car and is still one of the fastest lap times around the Nurburgring for a production car.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mike V. said:
You are comparing two cars that were not classed the same... And pax was always my friend when it came to the STi's

Additionally, since your autox example is thrown out the window, on the street the SRT4 had little trouble with STi's.

Then you compare a highly modified STi to a stock Viper. I can modify a SRT4 to beat up on Viper's too. Same with a 1st gen. What's your point?

Thanks, I agree with you 100%... and you need to update your signature.

Mike
I was comparing it because it was brought up in this thread, by a few other people... Relax a bit, I'm just trying to have a simple conversation about a car that does not exist yet.

My point was I just know RG is driving an ACR the modern class in this race, and the father and son team drove an STI in the modern class and he was well over a minute and a half slower. What makes you think a local father and son team has the resourses to "highly modify" their car over the multi millionare? I would say the Viper ACR is "holy crap highly modified" from the factory... Ralph knows first hand what those cars are capeable of in real world conditions and its my hope thats inspiration for an SRT Dart with AWD. Straight line performance is only a small part of sports car performance. From what I've seen I think RG is a very good driver. It is really an amazing feat to take a 600+ hp RWD car to a road rally with dirt and rain and finish on the podium.

I was talking total performance, drag racing is not road racing and drag racing from a roll never happens on an actual drag racing track. If you believe that an SRT Neon from the mid 2000's could hold a candle to a mid 2000 STI I don't know what to say and I'll end it at that. I'm not going to add to any more drama comments on here, I've been an avid reader for years and don't want to be involved.

I think the right target for the Dart would be the Focus ST at around 250hp in that mid to high $20's would be a fantastic and fun car. An even higher end AWD model would be great but you wonder how much more money it would be to sell it. If they could pull an AWD system from Lancia cars then holy crap. :excited:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.