Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or does the Mitsu Lancer look a lot like the Dart ?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Far more the other way around since the Lancer came out in 2007/8. :rolleyes:

I don't really see much of a similarity, but a little. I think the Dart looks closer to a few other vehicles than it does the Lancer. But honestly, their both pretty mean and good looking vehicles, something that isn't too typical. And I do agree with Top Gear, a lot of "family" cars are ending up being the good looking cars these days, and supercars are just looking radical but not necessarily good looking.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Yep, suspension and chassis-wise the Caliber/Patriot/Compass/Avenger/Sebring had their roots in a Mitsubishi platform. On a lift you could see the similarities.
DaimlerChrysler/Cerberus and Mitsubishi parted company after PM/MK/JS development was started. The 1.8L/2.0L/2.4L GEMA world engine was developed along with Mitsubishi and Hyundai as a shared engine.
The first Hyundai Excel was basically a Korean 'Dodge Colt' with a Mitsubishi drivetrain in a Hyundai body.
It is sad that the Mitsubishi Eclipse has been dropped as I had a fondness for the DiamondStar Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse cars back in the day. The Outlander is still around, but Mitsubishi US sales have become dismal.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It is sad that the Mitsubishi Eclipse has been dropped as I had a fondness for the DiamondStar Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse cars back in the day. The Outlander is still around, but Mitsubishi US sales have become dismal.
The Eclipse might be coming back, but as with the upcoming Lancer (according to rumors on both models) they will both be sporty hybrids with decent power and economy. But yes, Mitsubishi in the US has crash, but it's not just in the US that they have crashed. Honestly, if they survive the next 5 years without a complete overhaul of their business their not going to be around. Their in a worse position right now than any other automaker I can think of. Including Lotus. Only thing they have is revenue right now and pretty good profits on what they are selling, which last I checked, isn't that much...

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
They haven't seen selling that much in the US for a long time. The former DSM/now MMMA plant in Normal, IL is supposed to get set to build Outlander Sports and perhaps Lancers - not sure if those plans are still in play.

They've got agreements in place with Citroen and Peugeot - or did anyway - and used to work with Smart on the forfour.

It would not surprise me to see them shift to becoming a contract build/design house rather than a full-line automaker.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
They haven't seen selling that much in the US for a long time. The former DSM/now MMMA plant in Normal, IL is supposed to get set to build Outlander Sports and perhaps Lancers - not sure if those plans are still in play.

They've got agreements in place with Citroen and Peugeot - or did anyway - and used to work with Smart on the forfour.

It would not surprise me to see them shift to becoming a contract build/design house rather than a full-line automaker.
That's certainly a good business model if they have good investors/partners to insure they stay afloat. Might be enough to keep rolling their own cars out based on other's platforms and at the same time be manufacturing for said partners at a lower cost to the manufacturer. Almost a win-win.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Far more the other way around since the Lancer came out in 2007/8. :rolleyes:

I don't really see much of a similarity, but a little. I think the Dart looks closer to a few other vehicles than it does the Lancer. But honestly, their both pretty mean and good looking vehicles, something that isn't too typical. And I do agree with Top Gear, a lot of "family" cars are ending up being the good looking cars these days, and supercars are just looking radical but not necessarily good looking.
I see many more average family cars styled fiercely, with "angry" headlights. Aggressive seems in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts