Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting observation, I didn't see a thread here so I thought I'd start one.

I think it would be a sensible decision to create:

Dart GT = 2.4L 182HP
Dart R/T = 2.4L 285HP
SRT Dart = Woowooo billion HP

No idea where SRT would take Dart, but I think it's better not to release an SRT Dart than release a product that can't be a segment buster. Ford has the ST and RS, so let R/T compete with ST and if there's a Focus RS someday then have an SRT Dart someday that pounds it to dust.

They just need to make the 2.4L available at any trim level, IMHO.

Anyway, I think the Dart has a really bright future. 9-speed autos, 2.4L, 2.4L Turbo, and anything SRT has up its sleeve, could make it a really compelling do-everything platform in a few years. It's a great basis to build from, with the options and features it has available.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The Dart is a brilliant platform and a real looker in a world full of jellybeans... but a billion HP? why be so conservative?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I only want a Dart if it can go plaid...........

·
Registered
162 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
SPACEBALLS!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess you guys missed the part about SRT being rear wheel drive only.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I assume there is still a place for a turbo without typical SRT suspension upgrades? Kind of what the SE avenger is with the v6, a rocket and handles well, but isn't SRT level of handling.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Quambi said:
SPACEBALLS!
Sounds like the need to offer a Dart Lonestar Edition.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If there is a Dart R/T or GTS, I think it will be a 3.2L V6 with the nine speed and maybe a stick. I don't see them spending the cash to build and certify a turbo motor. I would guess 240-260 HP. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
duster92 said:
If there is a Dart R/T or GTS, I think it will be a 3.2L V6 with the nine speed and maybe a stick. I don't see them spending the cash to build and certify a turbo motor. I would guess 240-260 HP. Just my thoughts.
You will never see a V6 in a Dart. It will be a turbcharged 2,4L if anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
duster92 said:
They already have a built and certified motor, their World Engine. At the end of last year it was still the game plan to add direct injection and Multiair to it (the Tigershark) and have a turbocharged variant by 2014.

Ever since the R/T became the GT and they said they were still discussing the possibly of a high performance R/T model I knew it was going to go this way. Gilles has said work has been done on a potential Dart SRT but they were watching the market and trying to make a business case for it. He also drives a Neon SRT4 with the Mopar Stage 3 kit and says he will not release the car if it does not match that; that's his personal benchmark. So given that, having a GT replace the R/T and the R/T becoming an ever more performance trim gives sport compact buyers something from Mopar. The R/T will be right at home against the ST and GTI and if they can make it work you'll see a Dart SRT especially with a new WRX planned, Ford mulling the idea around of an RS, and what a Golf R would be like after the power bump to the GTI. Current "inside sources" say AWD with 300hp... Mopar is crazy enough to do it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
smithkey08 said:
They already have a built and certified motor, their World Engine. At the end of last year it was still the game plan to add direct injection and Multiair to it (the Tigershark) and have a turbocharged variant by 2014.

Ever since the R/T became the GT and they said they were still discussing the possibly of a high performance R/T model I knew it was going to go this way. Gilles has said work has been done on a potential Dart SRT but they were watching the market and trying to make a business case for it. He also drives a Neon SRT4 with the Mopar Stage 3 kit and says he will not release the car if it does not match that; that's his personal benchmark. So given that, having a GT replace the R/T and the R/T becoming an ever more performance trim gives sport compact buyers something from Mopar. The R/T will be right at home against the ST and GTI and if they can make it work you'll see a Dart SRT especially with a new WRX planned, Ford mulling the idea around of an RS, and what a Golf R would be like after the power bump to the GTI. Current "inside sources" say AWD with 300hp... Mopar is crazy enough to do it.
The plan continues to change on an almost daily basis. SM is a volume parts guy. He's not going to build a turbo motor to put in one car for a low volume. That is just not happening. So what other use is this turbo motor going to have? Where is it going to go? I don't think you will see a Dart SRT. I think that they want SRT to be a low volume brand with a buy in point of 50K or more.

pallen said:
You will never see a V6 in a Dart. It will be a turbcharged 2,4L if anything.
Do you work for Chrysler? What are your sources?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I guess the question now would be "will the 3.2L V6 fit in the Dart's engine bay?"

I can see them investing the money in a turbo Tigershark 2.4 if it's use can be spread across multiple models.

·
Registered
304 Posts
duster92 said:
The plan continues to change on an almost daily basis. SM is a volume parts guy. He's not going to build a turbo motor to put in one car for a low volume. That is just not happening. So what other use is this turbo motor going to have? Where is it going to go? I don't think you will see a Dart SRT. I think that they want SRT to be a low volume brand with a buy in point of 50K or more.

Do you work for Chrysler? What are your sources?
I don't work for Chrysler any more, but I did work for them for 37 years and I know that the Dart platform is not set up for a V6. I do have some inside sources even after being retired for 12 years and I will share any news that I have. My "guess" is that you will see a 2.4 Turbo at some point, but from looking at the just released product plans, there will be no SRT Dart. They don't seem to be sharing much information about where the Dart is going, it is almost like they are changing their plans on the fly. It lloks like the GT will be released shortly, but I would expect a Turbo version which will likely be called the R/T until my 2014.

·
Premium Member
20,078 Posts
It may be a turbo, but putting a V6 in a Dart R/T would be equivalent to putting a Hemi in an original Dart, right?

280hp range would be a good range for the Dart R/T, we can dream, right?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt they'll put a V6 in the Dart. Also, just because the the R/T might be turbo charged isn't a the final nail in the coffin for the SRT, they've had different power levels on the turbo PTs, so it wouldnt be anything new as far as same engines with different power levels go

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
Well.. that engine.. graph..chart thing.. did show two turbo'd 2.4L's.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
pallen said:
I guess you guys missed the part about SRT being rear wheel drive only.
I didn't read thru the 5 year plan, where was this mentioned, and why would they kill the Jeep SRT? I think I see more Jeep SRTs around here than any other save the Challenger.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
You guys are forgetting that if there is a turbo engine, it isn't just going in the Dart.

Alfa will share that wealth too.

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
Maybe the turbo 2.4 will be used in the 200 as well? Much like the turbo 1.4 from the 500 Abarth is used in the Dart?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts