Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Daytona 3.0 liter V6 with an oil leak. I have replaced the valve cover with a new one and with a new valve cover gasket and filler cap . That did not stop the leak. I also was installing a new timing belt and water pump on than there was no oil leak around the crankshaft seal or the cam plugs. I Degrease the engine before the repair and replacement of the timing belt I ran the car for few miles and it appears the oil leak is coming from the exhaust manifold bolts.

Is this possible???

HERMAN

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Just guessing but, It would seems that the bolt comes into contact with the oil channels, I wonder if the bolt needs to be pulled out and a sealant added to it? I've heard of leaks from the coolant passages but never oil. Welcome to Allpar and hope you get a good answer.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I dont think its possible, never heard of exhaust bolt that portrudes into an oil channel. They could portude into the heads openspace but i never seen one that does. it would be lousy engineering to do so since these bolts gets hot enough to make it difficult to find any sealant that works.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I dont think its possible, never heard of exhaust bolt that portrudes into an oil channel. They could portude into the heads openspace but i never seen one that does. it would be lousy engineering to do so since these bolts gets hot enough to make it difficult to find any sealant that works.
Which could mean the heads are cracked.. but even then still can't see how it would leak oil through a bolt.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
21,841 Posts
I have had oil 'wick' out of the nooks and crannies (including threads) for a little while after repairing a major oil leak.
Degrease the area and keep an eye on it for the next few hundred miles.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
I had a 3.0 that developed a leak around the oil pressure switch. Are you sure that's not where it's coming from? Other than a funky EGR valve, my 3.0 was a very good engine. The DOHC version sure was a challenge to change the timing belt on, though. Mine was a Mitsubishi Diamante.

Reactions: paullybob

·
KOG
7,117 Posts
Or, a valve cover leak could have saturated the manifold area and the oil seeped back out of there after the degreasing. Run it a while longer and see if you have a valve cover leak that hasn't shown up again yet..

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Rather than running a few miles, let it sit and hold the engine at 1500 rpm. There are many air currents in the engine compartment while driving that will move the oil around.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had a 3.0 that developed a leak around the oil pressure switch. Are you sure that's not where it's coming from? Other than a funky EGR valve, my 3.0 was a very good engine. The DOHC version sure was a challenge to change the timing belt on, though. Mine was a Mitsubishi Diamante.
I agree with the durability and lack of issues with the 3.0 V6 but when my oil sender went it was a mess all over the place, not just in one spot. I had 130000 miles on my Shadow before I let it go, had never had an issue like the OP describes??? Weird.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts