Allpar Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Fortunatley, they're all pretty much interchangeable. The Daytona rears were a little beefier, IIRC, to fit the car's performance image, but you could get by with pretty much any axle, I believe. I would be tempted to just ignore the broken pieces, cut out whatever makes noise and put a rear sway bar on. I don't know if this would negatively affect handling though.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
They don't all interchange - part numbers are different. My 93 only is common with 92-93 Daytona and 92-94 Lebaron.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Body shop welded it up yesterday afternoon. Ground the contact area with a Dremel-like tool (not easy to get in there!), welded each side, sprayed rust converter and then primer on the affected areas. Took half hour wheels-up to wheels-down, $40.

It's quiet. It handles the same or a little better. It's so quiet now that I can hear subtle creaking and rattling of the interior plastic panels.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
glad to hear yours worked out, I wish my piece of axle hadn't broke out and I would have done the same, well I am at 5 days and my tack weld is still holding, fingers crossed, lol

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
Well, the weld only held a few months, so I tried duct-taping a few inches across the bottom of the U-channel at either end, and filling with Liquid Nails. After 5 days, it hadn't cured through - too great a quantity to cure properly. So in Sep 2013, I filled an area the size of my fist on either end of the bar with Great Stuff insulating spray foam, and it held - for 18 months and 20K miles. Now it's starting to rattle again, probably the foam finally shrank some. I'm going to shoot some Liquid Nails in between the foam and the bar to secure it in place.

·
KOG
7,034 Posts
It's safe to drive the car without the bar. It will roll slightly more, will understeer more, but difference won't be very noticeable except in hard cornering.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,802 Posts
The track bar in my '92 Acclaim developed the rattle - wasn't all that loud. Annoying at times - especially when I hit a bad pothole - but not loud. Never had an alignment issue.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts