Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a question for anyone who is circle track racing a Daytona.. I have an 88 Daytona Pacifica that I'm trying to put 5 degrees of camber on the Right Front. I have the Left front cambered at 84 Degrees (redrilled the upper strut mounting holes and remounted the strut and was able to gain 6 degrees on the left front. I redrilled the right front mounting holes and tried to set the camber on the right side and for the life of me I'm only able to get it to 88 degrees.. I've even gone as far as slotting the hole in the lower mounting hole on the strut to try and gain more but to no changes are happening. I even tried putting washers on 2 of the studs to try and get it to mount at an angle when I installed the strut. What am I doing wrong?? Can anyone help? I've just about run out of Ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The logic is or seems right, if you move the top in or out the camber has to change, we aren't supposed to modify it so I do most of mine at the bottom of the strut so not sure of the limits adjusting up there.

With that said be sure your wheels are still straight, or in the same position, because the wheel gains and loses camber as it turns due to the caster in the front end geometry. I also assume you are taking your measurements with the full weight on the wheels.

Just a side note we didn't run that much camber in the LF, we ran maybe 3 degrees in the LF and ended up at 6 in the RF (the tech guy looked at it and I think he was going to give us a hard time for exceeding stock adjustment but it was the last race of the year.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The logic is or seems right, if you move the top in or out the camber has to change, we aren't supposed to modify it so I do most of mine at the bottom of the strut so not sure of the limits adjusting up there.

With that said be sure your wheels are still straight, or in the same position, because the wheel gains and loses camber as it turns due to the caster in the front end geometry. I also assume you are taking your measurements with the full weight on the wheels.

Just a side note we didn't run that much camber in the LF, we ran maybe 3 degrees in the LF and ended up at 6 in the RF (the tech guy looked at it and I think he was going to give us a hard time for exceeding stock adjustment but it was the last race of the year.)

The reason I have 6 degrees on the LF right now is mainly so I have more adjustment later if I need it. We are allowed to modify our right fronts to gain up to 5 degrees but who's gonna notice 6? LoL.. I run a High Banked 3/8 dirt track and over the winter they have added even more banking to our track so I'm thinking I'm gonna need as much camber in the right front as I can get. I'm just scratching my head on as to why I have done the same thing to both sides of the car and I'm getting more camber on the left than I am the right. It just boggles my mind because it seems regardless of what I do it doesn't change.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ffstro said:
heyy happy new year did you figure out your camber?? what are your tire rules can you have different size tires?? how much stagger do you have accross the front of the car i used to figure it out with tire tape or a stagger gauge . my car ran great with 8 inches accross the front but we didnt have a tire rule other than no bigger than a 205 15 so from usiing my guage or tire tape the right front tire measured 78 the right rear measured 76 left rear measured 74 left front worked best with a 69 but would be ok with a measured 71/ 72 its not the size of the tire its the measured size. i used to see lots of guys with a 14 on the left and 15 on the right but when measured sometimes the 14 would be bigger so they were backwards. the other thing i did was extended my control arm 1 inch ground it nice painted it and put it in water for a week lol. worked great till someone noticed my camber gain lol. i hope you had a great season. sorry this is a little late

The reason I have 6 degrees on the LF right now is mainly so I have more adjustment later if I need it. We are allowed to modify our right fronts to gain up to 5 degrees but who's gonna notice 6? LoL.. I run a High Banked 3/8 dirt track and over the winter they have added even more banking to our track so I'm thinking I'm gonna need as much camber in the right front as I can get. I'm just scratching my head on as to why I have done the same thing to both sides of the car and I'm getting more camber on the left than I am the right. It just boggles my mind because it seems regardless of what I do it doesn't change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used a cutoff wheel and took a nice slice off the back of the knuckle. You onlyb have to cut the top of it and you should cut it on a bit of an angle. take little bits at a time. I can't measure my camber in degrees anymore. I'm 3-1/2 inches off plumb!

·
Registered
111 Posts
to help- your right side use a new strut leaving the left old it will squat in the corners and pull you around if you have new front springs again put a used one on the left. do your rules allow you to run different size tires? using a stagger gauge i would run a 77-79 rt ft and the smallest i can get on the left front. this helps your camber as well my biggest suggestion is to get your car to squat in the corners youll be able to go in hard and come out under control.... oval pavement trick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts