Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clutch slave cylinder issues

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/pdf/M37.pdf

It affects from like Aug 15th to around the end of October. My parents car falls in there, September 9th I believe. I don't care about the issues, they seem to not care either (fuel gauge, driver seat leather issue, recall). This is the happiest they BOTH have been with the last 4 new car purchases since 2000...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
dang, this does not bode well to me considering that the US is already not a fan of the Dual Clutch type transmissions. Here come all the Armageddon stories similar to the Ford dual clutch stuff. :glare:

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
...considering that the US is already not a fan of the Dual Clutch type transmissions.
Really? Everyone in the US?

A lot of people moan and complain when something different than what they are used to responds, well, differently than what they are used to.

A CVT is not like a traditional automatic, and a DDCT is not like a traditional automatic either. Heck, a "traditional automatic" today isn't like a "traditional automatic" of the past either. To expect them to perform and respond the same as one is somewhat silly and ignorant, IMHO.

Where are the DDCT's used in the Dart being produced?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Really? Everyone in the US?

A lot of people moan and complain when something different than what they are used to responds, well, differently than what they are used to.

A CVT is not like a traditional automatic, and a DDCT is not like a traditional automatic either. Heck, a "traditional automatic" today isn't like a "traditional automatic" of the past either. To expect them to perform and respond the same as one is somewhat silly and ignorant, IMHO.

Where are the DDCT's used in the Dart being produced?
No, but there was a lot of moaning and complaining about how you could feel the automatic shift and how it felt like it might be broken etc. I didn't say everyone in the US, but just about every magazine complained about it to some degree. CVTs people don't usually complain since it's very smooth (most of them anyway), but obviously it still takes awhile to get used to. Honestly I think the masses will be fine with the dual clutch as long as they are told as to what the dual clutch auto feels like, handles, etc.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chryslers DDCT feels awesome! It's responsive, knows when to shift, smooth. You just gotta remember its a manual that is automatically shifted. It's better than the 41TE in the Neon, the F4A42 in my Sebring.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
No, but there was a lot of moaning and complaining about how you could feel the automatic shift and how it felt like it might be broken etc.
Which is, IMHO, ignorance as to how the technology in the DDCT works.

I didn't say everyone in the US, but just about every magazine complained about it to some degree.
What you wrote/said was "considering that the US is already not a fan of the Dual Clutch type transmissions." That implies "the entire US."

"Just about every magazine" isn't "the US" - and it's certainly not "the US driving public that has had a negative experience with a DDCT."

CVTs people don't usually complain since it's very smooth (most of them anyway), but obviously it still takes awhile to get used to.
Here at Allpar alone you can find many threads about the dislike of CVTs used in the Patriot, Compass, and Caliber by those that own them and those that have driven them. And most of those complaints stem from the fact that they don't behave, act, or sound like a traditional automatic.

Honestly I think the masses will be fine with the dual clutch as long as they are told as to what the dual clutch auto feels like, handles, etc.
And rather than just "tell" the masses, the salespeople - and the masses of their own accord - should make sure that a test drive is done to experience it for themselves.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with the actual recall notice that was originally posted. It's just another "kneejerk reaction" to a recall where people use the opportunity to slam and insult that which they do not understand. It's all about a company notifying buyers of a defective part that will be replaced free of charge - in other words, providing expected customer service.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Dual Clutch is pretty awesome. It behaves like a manual, but shifts on its own. It's nice to see a Chrysler in the states with something they should've been using long ago...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dual-clutch automated manuals do have a slight learning curve to them. It feels almost like driving a traditional automatic with a high stall converter, at least driving away from a stop, which is weird if you're expecting it to drive like a traditional auto. Light throttle from a stop and you'll barely move, as the computer is slipping the clutch pack, which a lot of people will interpret as a need for more throttle, at which point the driving experience can feel a bit "herky jerky". Once you get accustomed to it and understand how it will drive, it's the best of both worlds, nearly.

That's been my experience with the Evo X SST transmission. As for reliability, seems almost every DDCT that has come over has had some sort of issues like that. The SST that Mitsu sells has had issues with seals, bad temp sensors, and took a couple of years to finally receive a good quality factory tune that provided smooth driveability and consistent performance. I imagine Dodge's application is going to take a year or two to truly refine too.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slave cylinder is on national back order 2-3 months.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UN4GTBL said:
Yep. My dad and I dropped of theirs with 2500k on it. They had the car over night, replaced the driver seat cover, no fuel gauge flash yet. Told them their car is an affected unit and the part was on back order. Although they gave them a loaner for the night (2011 200 LTD).

·
Registered
36 Posts
does not appear to be all made in the date range either as mine was made in Sept and my dealer looked up my vin and said mine was not affected. So far no leaks

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
roadrnnr said:
does not appear to be all made in the date range either as mine was made in Sept and my dealer looked up my vin and said mine was not affected. So far no leaks
There's is a September build date, I think the 20th... Not sure. But it took 6 days for them to do the job and the BCM/PCM flash... Car doesn't do the funky electrics things anymore... And some of the turbo lag is gone...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts