Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 PT brought in for battery test/ was told that my solenoid shows leak which will cause trans problems/ i have no problems at all/ how do i know if it is worth $600 when there are no other sxs??? I have not noticed any leaks or decline in trans fluid/ HELP me to determine if this is for real

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Keep an eye on it and see if it leaks. If it's wet there, clean it off and see if fluid reappears. If it stays dry and the transmission acts normally, then they were wrong.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do not know where to look/ can you tell me ?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I don't have an automatic trans on a car right now, but I believe the solenoid pack is on the front side of the transmission case, and there should be an electrical plug with several wires running to it. There is an oil seal between the solenoid pack and the case. If you wipe the grime off the front-facing side of the transmission, especially all around any areas where there are electrical plugs, and it stays dry, all is OK. If transmission fluid (red oil) reappears, then it is leaking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i just went through a bunch of diagnostics on my 2001.
they could see the solenoid pack when air cleaner is removed.to test the battery.
the presence of transmission fluid could be the result of several things in that vicinity.
transmission cooler lines leaking due to loose hose clamps.
a seeping turbine speed sensor.
leaking pan gasket.
and lastly and least likely a leaking solenoid pack.
600.00 seems like highway robbery,even at canadian prices.unless it was at a chrysler dealership.
one hour and a 139 dollar part doesent add up to 600.00.i could repair all those things,for less than they want,and still make good money.
if its making a puddle under the car i would be concerned.
otherwise,the saw someone the could take advantage of.

so,the battery test you originally went in for,did they find a problem with it?

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my car would not start suddenly/ AAA tested the battery and said one cell was dead/ the battery is 16 mos old and under warranty from chrysler/ They insisted on charging me 130 to run a diagnostic test/ that is when they said the battery was good/ they did say i had a solenoid leak which would be 600 and i needed an alignment for 110. i declined all but had to pay them the 130// they told me the auto trans would fail if the solenoid kept leaking/

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
If it is leaving red, oily spots on the ground underneath, you have a leak and will want to make sure that the solenoid pack is what's leaking first. The cooler hoses above the solenoid pack can have loose clamps and appear to be a sol pack leaking when it isn't.
It may be worth cleaning the area of oil before determining where the leak is. Solvent or degreaser followed by a rinse on a warm engine should do the trick. A short drive to dry the area and start a small leak again to find it is a good start to leak diagnosis. Because of the tight underhood access, some things may have to come out of the way before you (or they) can get down in there.
The only way the transaxle will fail is if it is allowed to run low on fluid. Use ATF+4 fluid only. A fresh fluid and filter change is good maintenance if that hasn't been done recently. Resealing the pan will also help rule that out as a leak source.
If the front tires are wearing unevenly, make sure that there are no worn parts first and then get an alignment. Any 'clunking' or 'popping' noises over bumps or on turns?
Many auto parts stores will install the battery for free if it is easy to get at, which I believe that yours is. Carry jumper cables with you until you get that fixed. Batteries are usually 'pro-rated', so any battery coverage is only partial and is not a full warranty.

In this view, the rectangular-shaped block is the solenoid pack (single connector and 3 retainer bolts). The 2 hose fittings above it are for the ATF cooler. It is resting on the oil pan:

http://www.moveras.com/images/transmissions/41TE/41TE_transmission_left.jpg

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
elizabeth said:
my car would not start suddenly/ AAA tested the battery and said one cell was dead/ the battery is 16 mos old and under warranty from chrysler/ They insisted on charging me 130 to run a diagnostic test/ that is when they said the battery was good/ they did say i had a solenoid leak which would be 600 and i needed an alignment for 110. i declined all but had to pay them the 130// they told me the auto trans would fail if the solenoid kept leaking/
$130 for what, to test the battery and charging system? Sounds like it was a full vehicle inspection. Why did they insist on that, and charge you for it? Did they ever tell you why the car didn't start? that's a shame because for less than $130 you could have purchased a new battery. Is this a Chrysler dealer? I assume so, but either way, it sounds like they are just trying to get money. I would certainly go somewhere else for another opinion if you want one. However, I agree with the others here. If there is no puddle or obvious leaking, don't worry about the solenoid pack. Also, if your tires are wearing evenly, and the car is not pulling to one side or the other, don't worry about an alignment; although having one done periodically is not necessarily bad. I just wouldn't go back there. Is there another Chrysler dealer nearby?

·
Registered
31 Posts
as a former dealership mechanic,im not suprised at this.
the gravy grabbers will sell an alignment,service writers even suggest alignments,its a racket plain and simple.

a friend of mine paid 570 to a dodge dealer over a slipping transmission,loose hose clamp on transmission lines.2 litres of fluid.
replaced two clamps,reccomended an alignment and a fuel injection flush.also replaced belt idler.it wasnt the idler making noise,it was a bearing on the tensioner.i fixed it a week later.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ditto on the take-it-or-leave-it $130 "diagnostic" from the Ft lauderdale dealer. Do this or else subtle threats were implied.

Thanks for an in-siders view point off roader.

I definately agree with Doug, and just as you should with a Medical Doctor, get a 2nd opionion without telling the 2nd doctor what the 1st doctor diagnosed.

It's sad it has to be this way with dealers, but buyer beware is a way of life in the New America.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts