Allpar Forums banner

Death of Car Dealerships Y/N?

6184 Views 64 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  somber
Look I could have missed this in an earlier post/thread.

I watched several vids online and YouTube discussing this topic. You will find page after page of this topic on any search engine you choose, Bing-Google-Duck Duck Go etc. Some of the arguments/discussions sound reasonable. The most logical point seems to be manufacturers simply cutting out the middle man in the transaction (dealers) and pocketing the cash. Some were quick to point out delivery centers and service facilities will replace full service dealers. A very broad and deep conversations going on. Ford apparently is planning to sell all E card direct with no dealer involved. State laws are changing to make this happen and in states where no laws are banning plans seem to be moving forward.

What say you?
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
The absolute worst part of buying/owning newer cars is having to play games at the dealership and having to fight tooth and nail to not be bent over the "service advisor" desk.

I'd probably spend more and switch cars more often if I could elinimate that dehumanizing experience.

· Registered
283 Posts
Buying shoes depends on how much your spending. Sizing of products made in South East Asia could vary wildly for the same exact product. US shoes tend to be more expensive and consistent in sizing. For instance boots tend to all size near identically.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
It definitely was the ride of his life. Had to have been properly buckled and he was on his way back from a job interview with Whataburger. He also got that job which he will need to pay insurance on a new vehicle. Could have been the worst day of his life and turned out that it could be one of his best
Apparently there will be a little more publicity for his wild ride as he's scheduled to appear in a commercial for the 20th anniversary of the Texas "Click It Or Ticket" campaign. His adventure that day certainly has to be some testimonial for always wearing a seat belt as he did come out of it with relatively minor injuries.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Indeed. I have never purchased shoes online. Simply because sizes are not always standard among makers. When my son played baseball, we found that Nike's tended to run small. Only found that out by visiting the store and trying them on.

I'd be real hesitant to purchase a vehicle online via Carvana or any other similar service. When we have utilized CarMax we have browsed online and then called CarMax to get the vehicle placed on hold until we can get there to look at it and kick the tires, sort of speak. A vehicle is the most expensive item people buy after a house. Considering that we might be spending $25K+ I need to see, touch and test drive it before I finalize my decision.
correct Im not spending $35000 on something I dont drive and look at first . First of all half of all cars dont fit me as I'm 6 ft 3 inches tall . You can tell a lot by test driving and sitting in a vehicle and even looking under the hood .

· Registered
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4 Hemi
1,912 Posts
the article that @Dave Z posted in Stella power news about direct sales for mopars could have some effect on dealerships too! The guy I'm friends with at the dealership where I live wasn't all happy with the idea.

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,607 Posts
the article that @Dave Z posted in Stella power news about direct sales for mopars could have some effect on dealerships too! The guy I'm friends with at the dealership where I live wasn't all happy with the idea.
Right, they love the haggling and dickering and $1200 "paperwork" charges... but this would have prices set at the factory and dealers would gelt a standard cut. I suspect in normal times it would be better for dealers. In times like this, being able to add to MSRP is great for profits.

· 370,000 miles
1,535 Posts
According to this article, it looks like Volkswagen may be wanting to go direct to consumer with their new EV Scout brand.

The Volkswagen dealers are pretty upset. With the protectionist dealer franchise laws around the country, I can't really blame VW. Tesla has shown the way, and younger people do not like the traditional dealership buying experience. Maybe we'll see new brands spring up from other big manufacturers just so they can go direct to buyers. Would be fun if Stellantis could resurrect Plymouth for this purpose.

· Administrator
25,607 Posts
The Volkswagen dealers are pretty upset. With the protectionist dealer franchise laws around the country, I can't really blame VW. Tesla has shown the way, and younger people do not like the traditional dealership buying experience. Maybe we'll see new brands spring up from other big manufacturers just so they can go direct to buyers. Would be fun if Stellantis could resurrect Plymouth for this purpose.
Old people don't like it either. Very, very few buyers like the dealerships. I certainly don't like it, and that includes the "we must have your email and phone number to barrage you with conflicting messages at all hours of the day before we give you a price."

· Virginia Gentleman
8,729 Posts
Old people don't like it either. Very, very few buyers like the dealerships. I certainly don't like it, and that includes the "we must have your email and phone number to barrage you with conflicting messages at all hours of the day before we give you a price."
I'd have to say the best vehicle buying experience we've had is with Car Max. Having said that, there is no price negotiation. The price they list is what you will pay. So, if you like or prefer to negotiate on price, the dealer is the way to go.

Not all dealers are terrible, but I dislike having worked a deal with the salesman only to get bombarded with fees and extras in the finance office.

As far as emails and phone calls go, I just ignore them if it a number I don't recognize.

· Administrator
25,607 Posts
I'll have to look at Car Max. “Not all dealers are terrible, but I dislike having worked a deal with the salesman only to get bombarded with fees and extras in the finance office. ” True enough. There are good dealers. Not so many.

· Registered
765 Posts
I'd have to say the best vehicle buying experience we've had is with Car Max. Having said that, there is no price negotiation. The price they list is what you will pay. So, if you like or prefer to negotiate on price, the dealer is the way to go.

Not all dealers are terrible, but I dislike having worked a deal with the salesman only to get bombarded with fees and extras in the finance office.

As far as emails and phone calls go, I just ignore them if it a number I don't recognize.

A family member purchased a late-model vehicle from CarMax and has repeatedly said they will only deal with CarMax in the future. They said the vehicle was spotless, exactly what CarMax said, and there were “no games” played by CarMax.

It is rare to hear someone brag about the excellent buying experience they had with a vehicle purchase.

· Registered
283 Posts
The first vehicle I bought was at a used car dealership where the guy was covering for someone sick. I told him the price online was 1000 less than the window sticker. I was in and out in an hour. Still have the vehicle, but the dealership moved.

· Virginia Gentleman
8,729 Posts
A family member purchased a late-model vehicle from CarMax and has repeatedly said they will only deal with CarMax in the future. They said the vehicle was spotless, exactly what CarMax said, and there were “no games” played by CarMax.

It is rare to hear someone brag about the excellent buying experience they had with a vehicle purchase.
Our first dealing with Car Max was about 4 years ago when my wife had totaled her Journey on black ice and we needed a replacement. She found the car at one site (Stafford, VA) and asked Car Max if they could move it to the Fredericksburg site which is considerably closer. They also put a 7 day hold on it while we made arrangements to visit the dealer and arrange financing with our credit union. They did exactly as we requested.

Visited the dealership, test drove it and had Car Max send me a bill of sale to present to the credit union. Then it was just a matter of waiting for the payoff funds from USAA to use as the down payment.

But yes, no games played by Car Max. What you see is what you get.

So when that vehicle blew its engine, there was no question of where to go. Luckily, they had a few vehicles that met our criteria. With the market as tight as it is, I was pretty much surprised.

Their cars seem overpriced even before COVID screwed things up.
Actually, their prices are right in line with everyone else.

· Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
CarMax does sell for a bit more than other dealers. They also give a little better trade in price than the average dealer. CarMax does filter out a lot of questionable cars. Their warranty seems a little better priced and their financing is more transparent than other dealers.

Reactions: Dave Z

· Registered
643 Posts
Our first dealing with Car Max was about 4 years ago when my wife had totaled her Journey on black ice and we needed a replacement. She found the car at one site (Stafford, VA) and asked Car Max if they could move it to the Fredericksburg site which is considerably closer. They also put a 7 day hold on it while we made arrangements to visit the dealer and arrange financing with our credit union. They did exactly as we requested.

Visited the dealership, test drove it and had Car Max send me a bill of sale to present to the credit union. Then it was just a matter of waiting for the payoff funds from USAA to use as the down payment.

But yes, no games played by Car Max. What you see is what you get.

So when that vehicle blew its engine, there was no question of where to go. Luckily, they had a few vehicles that met our criteria. With the market as tight as it is, I was pretty much surprised.

Actually, their prices are right in line with everyone else.
Not from what I've seen prior and currently. They're a few thousand more than other places.

· Registered
12,395 Posts
The dealership stranglehold is breaking and the model is shifting.

I think we will see a massive reduction in dealers and more online/custom ordering in the future.

Reactions: somber and LeonB

· Registered
107 Posts
In this day and age, average Manufacture Websites and Build and Price are fantasies. Most I go on tell me to build one and send it to them. They'll look to see if they can find one and you hope it don't take 6 months to a year for them to call you back. I know a few do actually use the Build and Price and actually order the vehicle for you. I use an alias gmail account for all my junk emails. So when I go to a dealer and they ask for my email account to contact me, I use that account. It doesn't litter my real gmail account.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts