Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

I finally had my tech install the 2 front quick strut assemblies last Saturday. Almost immediately I began to hear a metalliuc rubbing/scraping sound from the right front wheel area. He looked at it last night and said the strut plate bearing was the problem. Either that it is dry (or something else) and he blames this on a manufactruing defect.

Part # Raybestos SPR 7171819R
Order date: 05/18/13

I know I need to call them but in the mean time, does anyone hjave any experience with returning a defective part and have I waited too long? It has obviously been about 6 weeks since I ordered it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
This is the first time I have heard this from Rockauto, but it does happen, we all get parts from time to time that are defective. I would give Rockauto a call and see what they say, any written comments with the part to help you out about defects that may help?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
From my experience, Rockauto has really good customer service.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I THINK on the quick struts, you have a 60 day warranty to return them. Don't hold me to that, though. Best thing to do is call them. They're easy to work with and have good customer service people.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank to all.

dana44, the only instructions I saw was to expect the car to sit higher with the new struts, sure enough it did for a while but not bad.

B10alia & chuzz, a Chistopher explained they are under the manufacturer warranty and he implied the normal return policy is 30 days.

I called the Tuesday morning and they gave me 2 options. I chose to pay for the replacement and they will pay the shipping (FedEx in my case) one way. They sent me return instructions to send the bad one to Indianapolis. It was a pleasant experience and I recommend them highly.

I just checked the FedEx shipping number and they are on the truck for delivery today (Friday). They are coming from a warehouse in Illinois and I think that is reasonably quick service, considering the holiday.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention when I was still on the phone Christopher checked the return history on that part. He said 1 was returned in 2011 and another in 2012 "but nothing major", whatever that means?? We agreed the Raybestos brand is a good name.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strut installed: 6/29/13 Saturday

Noticed noise: 6/30/13 Sunday

Fault diagnosed: 7/1/13 Monday

Called Rock Auto: 7/2/13 Tuesday

Replacement arrived: 7/5/13 Friday

Kudos to Christopher with Rock Auto Customer Service!

Reactions: JA Cumbo

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
This happened to me with Gabriel Ultra struts. I took the car to the dealer and had them install Bilsteins - problem solved. It was not the strut bearing. The lower spring plate was defective, welded at a bad angle so that the spring was bowed and rubbed on the wheelwell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have purchased from Rock Auto for years and I think very highly of them. The only time I have had problems was purchasing "closeout" items that are sold at deep discount. The first time, I purchased a pair of Sensatrac struts for my minivan, and though the boxes had the correct numbers on them, one box had a different strut inside (that box was taped, should have been a clue). The second issue was a coil pack for the van, it was some no name brand, the first was dead (did nothing), the second pack blew a fuse and puffed smoke. For the strut, I returned the first for a replacement, and for the coil pack, I was given a refund (ended up going to Advance for the pack).For both issues, Rock Auto was very prompt and courteous in dealing with both issues, and I highly recommend them. Always go to retailmenot.com for 5% discount codes that are there. I would still buy warranty items (brake pads) from a brick and mortar store to facilitate replacements.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The inner tie rod ends came from Rock Auto but in a Carquest box. I thought the tech had told me that's all I needed but now he says I need the outers too. I ordered those from the local Carquest and then ordered a pair of ball joints from the store. When all of these are installed I will have a totally Raybestos professional grade front end.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob Lincoln said:
This happened to me with Gabriel Ultra struts. I took the car to the dealer and had them install Bilsteins - problem solved. It was not the strut bearing. The lower spring plate was defective, welded at a bad angle so that the spring was bowed and rubbed on the wheelwell.
Well I had the replacement installed last Saturday. On this one the spring was also on a bad angle so one of the coils is touching the strut tower. Called Rock, and they said the send the 1st one back leaving this on the car. They are sending a 3rd one (I beilieve he said) at no charge before they receive the 1st bad one back. I had it re-boxed and dropped it off for FedEx today. I got a Ben this time and he sent me a pre-paid return label. As before they were co-operative and easy to work with.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
I should clarify that my struts came from Autozone.

Rockauto did once send me a fuel tank lock ring that was a few mm too big in diameter, even though the indicated P/N was correct. I had to assemble it that day, so I re-used the original, and chose not to return a $4 part.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob Lincoln said:
I should clarify that my struts came from Autozone.

Rockauto did once send me a fuel tank lock ring that was a few mm too big in diameter, even though the indicated P/N was correct. I had to assemble it that day, so I re-used the original, and chose not to return a $4 part.
I wish I could have dealt locally (a friend of mine is the manager at Advance Auto) but the prices were all too high. Also, even though Carquest had all the other front end parts (Raybestos Professional), they do not sell the Raybestos quick struts and cannot get them. But my experience was good at Carquest so I will give them a shot for the next part I need.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm back to haunt you helpful guys again. The 3rd passenger side quick strut is finally a good one; now the driver's side spring is touching the strut tower!

The tech thinks an alignment get things back in order and I have an appointment for that tomorrow, wish me luck!

I don't think I mentioned that I decided to replace all 4 tie rod ends and the ball joints. I don't suppose any of those could be to blame? I don't think so but thought I'd ask. EVERYTHING installed is the Raybestos Professional grade so there is no mis-match on the front end parts. Rear shocks are Mopar "stiff" the regulars were no longer available.

One last thing, the ride is really STIFF but I can live with that. But it might soften a bit once the springs have a little wear on them.

As always, thanks for looking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts