Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to the pilot last night.

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but the old Viper show doesn't look so bad now ;)

It's not terrible IMHO. I'm a little jaded. I've seen a lot of westerns and for a time read a lot of science fiction (not Sci-Fi, if that tells you anything), and of course I'm around long enough to have seen Mad Max and Alien Nation and know the plot of Romeo and Juliet, so ... it seems like a mashup of a lot of old ideas. And I haven't seen a single Dodge yet, I hear they start in episode 4, which might be a good place for me to start as well.

I'm about an hour in. Fun recognizing actors from other shows (was it filmed in BC or the Toronto area, I wonder? You can usually tell by the actors they use in secondary roles)... actually that's more fun than most of it. Good casting. A bit slow... maybe the pilot should have been 90 minutes instead of two long hours.

The timeline of the plot seems very farfetched. Shades of "Eureka" here — “We have some fun ideas but we didn’t waste any time thinking about whether it’s even vaguely possible or what we’d have to do to make it seem at least mildly plausible.”

Am I in the wilderness here?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Haven't seen it, don't know if I will or not. I was introduced to television science fiction with ST:TNG and its fairly high standards of production, so I sometimes have difficulty with shows that aren't that polished. Granted, TNG was fairly antiseptic in its sets, like the extreme cleanliness of the ship, the cleanliness and consistency on alien worlds, and such, but I guess it's what you grew up with.

Right now we're working our way through Farscape. We don't watch a whole lot of broadcast TV, with the only regular show that we tune in for being BBT at this point, though we do go watch Doctor Who with friends what little it's on every year.

Did you watch Firefly, and if so, how does the feel of the show compare?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I saw the pilot but not the second episode. It moves faster than ST:TNG. Everything moves faster than ST:TNG.

Firefly had a similar feel, but was so obviously the “War of Northern Oppression” (Civil War to non-Southerners) set in the future. I liked some of the characters, I didn't like the heavy doses of Ayn Rand-ian politics, and I didn't buy the "in the future, life will revert to 1860 except in space where it will be 1760 with space-ships" plot. Still, there wasn't much of it, and it was a little addictive with the plotline spanning episodes.

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, this show is part Firefly, but not too much. Mainly I see a kinder, gentler version of Mad Max coupled with every Western you've ever seen.

What are they mining for, exactly? In a post-apocalyptic world, wouldn't it be easier to use the scrap that's sitting around everywhere?

How did St. Louis get almost completely buried, except for the arch?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
TWX said:
Haven't seen it, don't know if I will or not. I was introduced to television science fiction with ST:TNG and its fairly high standards of production, so I sometimes have difficulty with shows that aren't that polished. Granted, TNG was fairly antiseptic in its sets, like the extreme cleanliness of the ship, the cleanliness and consistency on alien worlds, and such, but I guess it's what you grew up with.

Right now we're working our way through Farscape. We don't watch a whole lot of broadcast TV, with the only regular show that we tune in for being BBT at this point, though we do go watch Doctor Who with friends what little it's on every year.

Did you watch Firefly, and if so, how does the feel of the show compare?
For me I grew up watching the original Star Trek. You know - the one with Capt Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Years later I did happen to meet Gene Roddenberry at a ST convention in Crystal City, VA just before ST:TNG premiered. ST:TNG was what he wanted Star Trek to be. (Yeah, I was a big Trekkie at the time - not so much anymore - still enjoy the movies though).

Couldn't quite get into ST:DS9. Don't know why. Guess I was too busy to pay much attention to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts