Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Yorker find in a heated garage for 18 years,only 42,000 miles still smells like new in the interior,besides tune-up cap,roter,plugs,wires,carb overhaul the car ran great for first few months then leanburn started to fail,would only let car run 5-6 min flawlessly then when leanburn kicked on to second distributor pickup run coil then car would stall and not start till it was 10min or cool then fire up again only run 5 min then stall out again,after weeks testing found 2 ND run coil failure with no parts store carring pick up coils for leanburn only non leanburn,so I researched my options and found $136 Proform #66993 crysler distributor conversation kit,put it in and then no fire on coil (must unplug 2 wire.connectors going to airhorn leanburn computer I forgot to unplug it,if not unplugged the leanburn will cancel out coil signal found out after 3 days tracing wires why no fire from coil.) then fired right up and runs good I even left vacuum advance plug not using it. I also found wiring schematic for free after endless hours of searching on internet.

·
KOG
7,077 Posts
You need vacuum advance.

·
Premium Member
20,150 Posts
Yeah, Lean Burn was pretty good when it worked, and when it goes bad, they run horrible. Just replacing the distributor with a single plug is only half the battle, the carburetor also has inputs to it which if simply disconnected lets the engine run rich, which doesn't do you any good (or the engine), and there are no adjustments externally to correct the problems. The carb also needs to be replaced (along with the distributor you replaced), and wired properly (an earlier model, 1972 or 1973 works well) to remove everything the Lean Burn system controls. Included with this is a field wire (your alternator should have two field wires and one big power wire on the back of it), the second one ties into all the sensors for the Lean Burn computer and ties into the positive side of the coil. If this wire isn't attached directly to the positive side of the coil, after all the Lean Burn wiring is removed, she won't charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Lean Burn was pretty good when it worked, and when it goes bad, they run horrible. Just replacing the distributor with a single plug is only half the battle, the carburetor also has inputs to it which if simply disconnected lets the engine run rich, which doesn't do you any good (or the engine), and there are no adjustments externally to correct the problems. The carb also needs to be replaced (along with the distributor you replaced), and wired properly (an earlier model, 1972 or 1973 works well) to remove everything the Lean Burn system controls. Included with this is a field wire (your alternator should have two field wires and one big power wire on the back of it), the second one ties into all the sensors for the Lean Burn computer and ties into the positive side of the coil. If this wire isn't attached directly to the positive side of the coil, after all the Lean Burn wiring is removed, she won't charge.
Yes I found that out also had to tune carb in a little better,saving up for better carb from summit or maybe I can find one from swap meet.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
619 Posts
Yes I found that out also had to tune carb in a little better,saving up for better carb from summit or maybe I can find one from swap meet.
Don't use the outdated edelbrock. For the same money, get a new Street Demon thermoquad. Or, find a reman TQ for a '75. You could also use the dual-pickup distributor used on the '75 400/440 squads. Dorman has a rebuild program for the computers, if that's of interest.

'76 was the first year for ESC, which was ignition-only. EFC, or feedback carb, first appeared in 1980. However, the carb switch did appear on earlier models, in certain models with A/C and/or heated backlight. ESC kept the switch to determine if the engine at or off - idle. Sometimes the step-up or ABV solenoid(s) did double duty.

Regardless, it should be one of the simpler ESC conversions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the helpful advice it was very very much appreciated, instead of critical advice like so much of these Forums have. Summit racing in tallmadge Ohio is actually only 20 minutes to my house that's what they recommend was Edelbrock but now I don't think I'll use the street demon thermoquad.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
The Edelbrock Performer 600 cfm should work very well oon your 400. Match it to the Performer manifold and replace the distributer with an earlier Mopar electonic one with orange spark box and you are good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts