Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Oof. This isn't good. Recalls for vehicle fires tend to be rememberd, and are hard to automakers to shake. Hopefully this ends up being a tiny and isolated problem.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
69DartGTS said:
what about the Ford Ecoburst problems.? why no probes on them?
Ford had a recall in response to fire claims from the 1.6 EcoBoost in the Escape.

Mike

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
My only comment is "why does half the article regurgitate the Grand Cherokee gas tank recall/fix issue, when that has already been dealt with and is for the most part unrelated to the visor/headliner issue?"

Because news, I guess.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
This is meant ONLY in a humorous way. It's Friday, It's been a very long week. I'm tired. And when I get tired I get an odd sense of humor.

Fire
Investigation
Again
Tony

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
What is above the headlined on the passenger side? I can only imagine wiring with a bad connection.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Most likely electrical. I have seen interior trim screws for visors and metal trim piece retainer spring clips (A-pillar/overhead windshield trim) cut through the plastic harness and wire insulation behind it and offer a path to ground.

The heat is probably from it being a bad ground and not triggering the 'watchdog' TIPM to open the circuit in the event of a bad-enough short to do so.
This is a real nuisance on an otherwise award-winning vehicle and just after starting the road back from the fuel tank fires.

The recall will hopefully be a quickee inspection and possible harness rerouting?
Let's hopefully put this behind us quickly and remember lessons-learned.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
What is above the headlined on the passenger side? I can only imagine wiring with a bad connection.
The article doesn't say the exact location, but the Grands have lighted and dimming passenger make-up mirrors in the visors (for several decades).

My observation of the report is that no one knows much about this yet and that resulted in the column fillers of unrelated fires and poor sales.
None of which had anything to do with the 2012 Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
The fact that people open their windows rather than stop and get out is another demonstration of our mentally deficient society.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
The fact that people open their windows rather than stop and get out is another demonstration of our mentally deficient society.
It should be noted that opening doors and windows in building fires, has the same affect.
Thinking before one acts requires cognitive skills... ;)
Tranquilizzing the masses with reality TV will only work so long.

·
Registered
993 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It should be noted that opening doors and windows in building fires, has the same affect.
Thinking before one acts requires cognitive skills... ;)
Tranquilizzing the masses with reality TV will only work so long.
Omg how am I going to be able to get my car in for an oil change with the service department being overwhelmed with scheduling appointments for all of these recalls???

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
IMPERIAL4EVER said:
Omg how am I going to be able to get my car in for an oil change with the service department being overwhelmed with scheduling appointments for all of these recalls???
An investigation is not a recall.
3 cases out of how many sold?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
To be prudent, any 'safety campaign' may only be an inspection of the harness and a suggested re-routing of it away from fasteners. It may only affect a certain build date range. More to come.
Three interior fires is three too many.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
No doubt that one fire is one too many, but in the perspective of the number built and the miles of components, that doesn't currently warrant any hysterical or "recall" talk. It's an investigation.

I'd think the trim and model, may make it easier to pin-point the cause, for example, a specific, in-common feature, such as sunroof, or other feature may help identify the culprit. A missing clip, that allows a wiring loom to contact a pinch point, or... it could be anything and finding the cause and preventing that from happening again at the factory, is paramount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think somebody is going to get spanked by big brother for not playing nicely on the last issue. I think it's sad to see that the mentality has gone to this level. I hope this is not an ongoing thing because if it is, this is going to hurt. My daughter has a kia and hyundai is recalling about 250,000 cars for bad axle shafts that are causing all kinds of issues and not a word from the media.People wonder why american companies leave or go under.They aint gotta china mans chance....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts