Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm cruising home on the hwy, about 60, in 5th and the stick just pops out of gear and into neutral. I put it back and it pops out again, good thing I was just about at my exit. So coming home the rest of the way I tried all the other gears, no problem, just 5th. If I hold pressure on the stick I can feel it fighting to try to pop out, and I can feel the gears grinding.

'91 Daytona C/S, 2.5 T1 523 trans. This is basically a commuter car, I sometime step on it a bit but I don't race it, and I wouldn't call anything I've ever done to it abusive.

So am I done for here, do I have to change this puppy out?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Or pull the side pan and inspect 5th gear and its synchro. 5th gear spins very fast as it is overdrive and being at the end of the transaxle in the side housing, if it runs low on lube the oil sling may not feed it sufficient lube and cause rapid 5th gear wear.
You may be hearing bearing noise. If the bearing has come apart, then you will hear gear noise.
I have seen the nylon synchro fork wear pads melted or missing. Synchros can come apart and bearing retainer snap rings break.
I would at least inspect and diagnose it before condemning it. The A-523 is getting hard to find and if the case and geartrain is OK, it is probably worth rebuilding.

000005GD.jpg
22440d1178819607-identify-these-parts-a523-clip_image001.gif

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I had that start happening on the 84 Laser XE Turbo I had and it finally exploded on me. Now, I only had about 30,000 miles on the car at the time and the dealership told me it was because it had run out of fluid! They repaired it under warranty, but weren't too happy about it. BUT since they were the ones servicing the car for me, they were negligent in keeping track of checking it when I took it in for service. Check the fluid and remember that it takes ATF+4, not gear oil.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImperialCrown said:
You may be hearing bearing noise. If the bearing has come apart, then you will hear gear noise.
I have seen the nylon synchro fork wear pads melted or missing. Synchros can come apart and bearing retainer snap rings break.
No, no noise coming from it. Can the fork pads be replaced without doing a tear down? If I do have to change it I will have it rebuild and keep it for a spare, are the rebiuld parts still available?

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
In case you have to order parts, your car should have the 568 not the 523. Unless of course you have swapped it out.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
See what model the round silver New Process tag on top of the transaxle says the transaxle you have is.
Bearings, seals and some other rebuild parts may still be available. Best to find exactly what it needs first by pulling the end pan and possibly the bearing plate.

Item #19 in the link below is shown as the nylon 5th gear fork pads, but aren't shown as available in the parts list to the right (many parts here are shown as reference only and are not in stock). E-bay might have some parts or transaxle assemblies. Google around after you get a needs list. See here:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=634549

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it did have the 568, but I checked the tag a while ago only to find it was a 523 to my surprise. I won't be rebuilding it myself if it comes to that, but I would buy a rebuild kit and whatever other parts it might need in advance, and then just drop it off some place to be rebuilt, I don't have the facilities or the experience to tackle a rebuild myself. That 5th gear fork "looks" like it could be changed just by taking the cover off, but I'd like to confirm that before a commit to trying to change it.

I assume that professional trans rebuild shops would be able to get the replacements parts, or am I wrong about that?

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
chuzz said:
Check the fluid and remember that it takes ATF+4, not gear oil.
Not true. The A523 takes 5W-30 engine oil. They stopped using ATF in 5-speed manuals sometime around 1987 or 1988.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I stand corrected, Bob. I was trying to go by my faulty memory and what the guys as Star Chrysler-Plymouth in Nashville were telling me 30 years ago. Unfortunately, just like my memory, that dealership is no longer around either! LOL

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a bit low, took a quart of oil, but it still pops out of 5th. If I put a little forward pressure on the stick while it's in 5th I can still feel the gears a little, not as bad as before, but still there. I ordered a new set of bushings for the cables, I know the ones on the stick are good, I changed those when I first got the car, but the ones on the transmission side are unknown. I hope this doesn't end up being a transmission swap, just not a good time for the extra expense.

Still - any idea if the 5th gear fork/pads can be changed without doing a full tear down, just by removing the end cover....?

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
One quart is a LOT low - it only holds 2.2 quarts when dry. So some damage may have occurred.

Try replacing the bushings on the transmission end first. They often disintegrate when oil leaks on them.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
5th gear/synchro and the fork/fork pads can be serviced with the end cover off. The roughness that you feel in the shift lever while holding it in 5th may indicate that the nylons are gone and the fork/synchro contact is metal-to-metal.
Again, this end cover needs to come off for a visual diagnosis and assessment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts