·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
Finally!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Give me a J12 with a diesel and Chrysler can take my money please.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Welcome to Allpar six months ago at least... :)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
guyver[this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool said:
y]I thought the 2.8 was a 4 cylinder?
It is.
While "on the radar" doesn't say much, it's better than " off the table"
Hopefully they realize that the JKU, outfitted for off road, weighs MORE than a Dodge 1500 pickup and they will see fit to give Jeepers the 3.0 V6 VM.
That would make my day.
Our KJ is getting long in the tooth, it's going to be replaced by a Wrangler Unlimited, preferably with the 3.0. If they build it, I will buy it!
No if and or buts...

·
Registered
491 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It is.
While "on the radar" doesn't say much, it's better than " off the table"
Hopefully they realize that the JKU out fitted for off road weights MORE than a Dodge 1500 pickup and they see for to give Jeepers the 3.0 V6 VM.
That would make my day.
The KJ is getting long in the tooth, it's going to be replaced by a Wrangler Unlimited, preferable with the 3.0. If they build it, I will buy it!
No if and or buts...
I would prefer the 2.8 CRD myself, but if they made the 2.8 and 3.0 an option, that would be great! :excited: :thumbsup:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
y]I would prefer the 2.8 CRD myself, but if they made the 2.8 and 3.0 an option, that would be great! :excited: :thumbsup:
The 2.8 is under powered for the 4 door and it's not EPA certified for 2016. The 3.0, can pass emissions and has torque greater than the Hemi.
Two options is unrealistic, as that doubles the cost of certification.

·
Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
1,317 Posts
MoparNorm said:
The 2.8 is under powered for the 4 door and it's not EPA certified for 2016. The 3.0, can pass emissions and has torque greater than the Hemi.
Since the 3.0 v6 is already certified, why would they spend the money certifying the 2.8? Does this point towards the v6 being installed or are there packaging reasons that might prevent the v6 from going in?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
link3721 said:
Since the 3.0 v6 is already certified, why would they spend the money certifying the 2.8? Does this point towards the v6 being installed or are there packaging reasons that might prevent the v6 from going in?
If management is not jerking everyone's chains (as has been done many times in the past), then the "packaging" will be accomodated in the redesign for MY 2017.

I would not expect a diesel in the current JK.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
link3721 said:
There are likely packaging reason, that is why they could be waiting for the 2016 redesign of the Wrangler. The 2.8 is not likely smogable, but could be at both effort and expense. However two engines means more training and parts in inventory. The 3.0 VM is the logical and financial choice.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
ajbwalk said:
what about the promaster diesel in the jk?
I would hope not. It would not be my first choice for a Jeep Wrangler and the cost to train, equip shops and carry parts for two different Jeep diesels doesn't make financial sense.
The 3.0 VM exceeds the 5.7 Hemi, in torque. That's the power Wrangler Unlimited has needed since day one. The 3.6 is a nice highway motor, and adequate for the two door, but it still is a weak point at low rpm. The 3.0 (or the Hemi) would solve that. Diesels meet CAFE, Hemi's will have an exceedingly hard time.

·
2,570 Posts
Just a reminder, the 3.0 is only certified in the Ram 1500 an Grand Cherokee at this time. The engines have to be certified and crash tested on a per vehicle basis.

With that said, I assume it would pass.

·
Registered
491 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It is unrealistic, but one can hope.

I think the 2.8's 200 HP and 320 lbs torque would be good enough for most people. It's too bad that it isn't EPA rated.

·
Registered
530 Posts
ajbwalk said:
what about the promaster diesel in the jk?
I believe (and I could be wrong) that the 3.0L I4 in the Promaster will meet regulations for a heavier duty vehicle. It would not pass emissions for a passenger vehicle (someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the emissions).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
y]It is unrealistic, but one can hope.

I think the 2.8's 200 HP and 320 lbs torque would be good enough for most people. It's too bad that it isn't EPA rated.
The 2.8 is UNDERPOWERED for the JKU. Many of whom are pushing 6,000 lbs. that's heavier than many 1500's.
The 2.8 would be a wasted effort. If they don't bring the 3.0 for the Wrangler, it's a mistake.
The 3.0 has more power AND better fuel economy AND will meet emissions.
With those three attributes, the lesser 2.8 is a non- starter... So it's probably what they would use. ;)

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
For the 4dr Wrangler, the VM3.0L crd performance can match the Ram 1500 & Jeep Grand cherokee.
For the other 2dr Wrangler they can offer the de-rated motor that they use in the Lancia Thema 180 GOLD.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
66coronet said:
For the 4dr Wrangler, the VM3.0L crd performance can match the Ram 1500 & Jeep Grand cherokee.
For the other 2dr Wrangler they can offer the de-rated motor that they use in the Lancia Thema 180 GOLD.
There is no reason to offer two different engines. It is costly and adds unessecary complexity to assembly.

Mike

1 - 20 of 39 Posts