Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spark plug Auto part Automotive ignition part Automotive engine part Screw
Spark plug Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive ignition part Inductor

Hello, This past weekend I had all of the lifters, rockers and spark plugs replaced on my 2011 dodge grand caravan. I still have all of the tensioners, chains and camshafts but mechanic said that the camshafts looked good. When I picked it up, he mentioned that if I hear a start up rattle sometimes that all of these engines do that. THe problem is that I have never heard this noise before and now I do. I have been researching and I found everything from piston slap, early detonation, back bleed valve in oil filter, tensioners and timing chain. I am reluctant to send the other parts back.

My van has 320K miles on it 3.6 pentastar engine. I know he replaced all of the things that I have stated above because he gave me back the old ones and even made a couple of short videos of how the lifters were bad. I know it is a lot of work to get to the camshafts. Is there a timing adjustment that can be made. It only does it when I first start it up and it does not do it all the time. Today I had to turn the ignition over a couple o times before it started. I just want to stay on top of any major issue that may be headed my way. Here is what the old spark plugs look like.

Please advise.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A video of the noise would help. Noise when the engine is cold only? hot and cold/ hot only? Knock sensor OK? Where is the noise coming from? Plugs are burning ok, but the plug shown in the left picture farthest away seems to have a larger gap.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A video of the noise would help. Noise when the engine is cold only? hot and cold/ hot only? Knock sensor OK? Where is the noise coming from? Plugs are burning ok, but the plug shown in the left picture farthest away seems to have a larger gap.
The noise is coming from the top of the engine i think. it sounds like all of the roller rockers shaking upon start. I thought it just did it on a cold start but it is intermittant.. I will try to get a video but, it is not something I can reproduce at will. It only last a few seconds. I do not know where the knock sensor is alrhough, I think I have an extra one that I bought some time ago and never installed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The noise is not necessarily related to a cold start, because it did not do it this morning. Its more like after a hour of idling. Then maybe a shutdown for about 30 to 45 mins.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It could be a defective lifter if it only occurred after repairs. The mechanic that worked on it should take a look at it, as issue occurred after repairs. Start up rattle is common for the 3.6 but having to crank engine twice is not. Both together indicate the need for further inspection. Also the timing chain tensioners have to be push back to remove the cams so one of them could have issues afterwards. Working on an engine with those miles can be like working on Gillian's bamboo plumbing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be a defective lifter if it only occurred after repairs. The mechanic that worked on it should take a look at it, as issue occurred after repairs. Start up rattle is common for the 3.6 but having to crank engine twice is not. Both together indicate the need for further inspection. Also the timing chain tensioners have to be push back to remove the cams so one of them could have issues afterwards. Working on an engine with those miles can be like working on Gillian's bamboo plumbing.
Lol, ok. the mechanic is about an hour away. I told him about the noise but he said all of them do that. I did not drive it today, i will keep my eye on it and see if it does it again..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The noise is there on a cold startup. Once the oil gets there and the engine warms up, the noise should go away. I would take it back to your mechanic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts