Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have seen many oil pans like the one on my 1990 Plymouth Sundance, with TBI 2.5 Liter; it's bottom is shaped to make room for the balance shafts (BS), very flat but with an angle across (east to west) the bottom, giving it sort of a "2" sided bottom. I have seen photos of an oil pan the 2.2's have since they don't have the BS's; they look smaller and in the middle the lowest portion is rounded for the round sceen oil pickup to fit.

Yesterday I saw a different pan. It was on both an 87 Sundance 2.2 turbo and a 87 New Yorker 2.2 turbo. The pan's bottom was completely flat and had 4 simetrical inward dimples in the middle, as if placed in the corners of an invisable 3.5" square.

The reason I am looking at oil pans is ihad read that there is a DEEP SUMP pan that has room for an extra quart. The pan I saw yesterday did look very bulgy/large. Was it the deep sump and will it fir my common block 2.5 TBI?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It was probably just a turbo oil pan, they have a return line for turbo oil that nonturbo pans don't have. The deep sump pan was available from MP, but I highly doubt they were putting it on production cars. I could be wrong about that though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Common block motors have a different oil pan than non-common blocks. If I remember common block oil pans have an extra bolt on the back on the oil pan. I thought I read somewhere that the 87-88 Shelby Z 2.2 Turbo II had a deep sump pan. The oil return line on Turbo cars go through the block not the oil pan so Non turbo and Turbo Oil pans should be the same.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right about the extra fastener in the common block pan; it is on the front right (passenger's side. Thanksfor the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts