Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to remove the inner half of the differential bearing on a 1988 Dodge Omni w/auto? I am not sure how to pull it as it is on a hollow shaft. This is the taper bearing that goes around the shaft where the half shaft enters the transmission/differential. I pulled the cover off to remove a leaking seal and noted that one of the rollers had fallen out of the bearing. The other half of the bearing in the cover I removed is scored up a bit. I am debating on whether to replace the seal and reassemble as is, or find some way to replace the bearing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does this bearing even do? The cv shaft goes inside the hollow shaft it is mounted on and does not contact it. Something else in the transmission apparently spins using it. I ask because I cannot figure anyway to get behind this bearing to even pull it. The only thing I could really attach a puller to is the bearing roller cage and it would simply pop off and shoot roller bearings everywhere. I wonder if I am better off to reinstall the cover with the cv shaft seal and hope the one missing roller won't be a huge deal.

Also, the roller that came out of the tapered bearing fell down into the transmission somewhere. I hope it will reappear when I drop the transmission pan.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The bearings are used to support the differential assembly, one on each side. They are a very tight interference fit and often have to be cut off. Normally you would remove the differential assembly to change the bearings. The diff. can be removed by removing both axles, seal retainers and diff. cover and tilting engine/trans after disconnecting the front engine mount. The "hollow" the axle shaft fits into is the axle gear or side gear, inside the diff.assembly. Here is a link to an ebay ad showing what the differential assembly looks like.

Thanks
Randy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A413-A670-413-670-Dodge-Transmission-Differential-Big-Bearing-FREE-KWIK-SHIP-/310730249892

1 - 4 of 4 Posts