Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real head scratcher. When stopped, the shift between 2-3 shift smooth and w/o any hesitation. While driving it won't find 3rd w/o a lot of fiddling with the shifter. Accelerating hard and it won't go into 3rd at all. It's acts like it's stuck or binding, but other shift is fine. I can even skip from 2nd into 4th or 5th with no issue. Come to a stop and it is back to normal. I pulled the shifter arm out of the trans and the plastic bushing on the end looks fine, the cup it sits in looks fine. The motor and trans mounts are new and it isn't rocking around. I have seen that this trans requires a syncromesh oil, and not using that can cause issues with binding, but this is only one gear while under coasting load.

I'm stumped, any ideas where to look? I would hate to drop a ton of cash at a trans shop if I don't have to.

Background: I bought as a project, a 1998 Dodge Dakota 2x4 that the previous owner had swapped out the V6 automatic for a 360 Magnum and a NV3500 out of a Ram 1500. He was going to build a r/t clone, but needed money for other things. Past that I know very little about the history of the engine/trans except he said the trans was a rebuilt from a trans shop and is the close ratio version. The engine is still solid so I'm looking at making a weekend warrior street/strip toy, nothing crazy just fun. But for now, there are a load of things to do, and the trans is currently at the top of that list. Any help and/or advice is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,849 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. If you don't know the past maintenance history of the transmission, it may be a good idea to begin with a fluid change. Look at the old fluid in the light for any shimmer or glitter. If the drain plug has a chip magnet, check it for iron debris.
Use a fluid that meets Chrysler MS-9224, like Mopar 4874464AC or equivalent.

A dragging or binding clutch disc can cause difficulty shifting, particularly into lower gears and Reverse.

Syncros can wear or be damaged. Worst case would be the need to open the transmission to inspect shift forks, rails and synchro (blocking) rings.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Font Water

Font Jewellery Eyelash Circle Number

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, it feels great to be back in Mopar territory again. I'll start with the fluid, that was on the list anyway. I had checked with a friend of mine and he thinks it could be a bent fork. Like if someone was in a hurry or racing and blew the 2-3 shift but forced it in anyway. I was told it came from a trans shop, so it could be a core they rebuilt and resold. Basically inherited someone else's issue. If it get's too annoying, I'll find a trans shop and get an estimate. Thank you again and especially for all the information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.