Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lost as last years easter egg, and clueless how to go about finding my way through this post. I have a 1988 D250 dodge with 360. I have a will crank but wont start problem. I so need to find the source of my problem, desperately,

·
Super Moderator
32,303 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!
As a first step, check for fault codes stored in the computer per these instructions:

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!
As a first step, check for fault codes stored in the computer per these instructions:
What year did the 360 get a computer?

·
Super Moderator
37,836 Posts
I don’t think a 1988 D250 is going to give fault codes. It might, but only some engines had the throttle body injection and could give fault codes. Others still used a carburetor and did not give codes.

I’d start with basic diagnostics. Pull a spark plug and check for spark. If you have spark, see if it will start and run a second or two with a shot of starter fluid sprayed down the carb/throttle body.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think a 1988 D250 is going to give fault codes. It might, but only some engines had the throttle body injection and could give fault codes. Others still used a carburetor and did not give codes.

I’d start with basic diagnostics. Pull a spark plug and check for spark. If you have spark, see if it will start and run a second or two with a shot of starter fluid sprayed down the carb/throttle body.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Wel ive just now found out how to even find this. Lol and think l I can even find this truck problem. my 1988 dodge D250 360 motor w/manuel transmission. 4 baral carb, vac advance, and dual pickup coil. I have power to Pos and neg side of coil , and power to dash panel, will crank, wont start. i donot know if I have a clutch saftey switch, or not. I think not. So with
.If
i
use
a
ohm
meter and test the wires
to the ecm pin
what
kind of reading should I get, that would be to the pos side of coil, with or without the key on. or from the dual pick-up flip flop relay.?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im way past that, I did try that first. I just now found ya"lls replys, what makes me think I can find my turcks problem. LOL Im trying
The 318 in my Grandpa's last D150 had TBI. Should've been an 88. It had better acceleration than Dad's 87 heavy half with a 360 carbureted. The 360 didn't get a TBI until the 89s came out. Mopar LA Series V8 Engines: 318, 340, 360, and 273
You are correct. I just wish I could call for pars and be told my truck doesnt have that, and I know better. Thats always fun. LOLt
l

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Just for the heck of it, try removing both battery cables and cleaning the posts and the clamps. Look for the dreaded green corrosion on the cables too. And check the cable going to the starter relay (if it has one) on the fender. Sometimes the cable gets loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts