Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my front hubs replaces as part of my quest to " put more money in the car than its worth" just wondering if cv joints go bad in lebaron frequently that i should replace them at the same time. Or will buying some autozone junk be worse than my oem old parts.

100k miles

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Never had one fail. My last Daytona went 308K miles on the original engine and axles. Manual transmission and original clutch were replaced at 270K miles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No reason to replace them unless the boots leak or you get some abnormal noise from there. They are not too bad to be replaced alone. When they start to have symptoms, i'd replace complete axle. Keeping the engine centered will help to extend the joints' lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The protective boots must be intact and not spewing grease. The right inner joint is only a couple of inches from the catalyst which can cook the grease hard after a few years.
If you don't have shake or shudder issues under load (acceleration) and the tires aren't the problem, I would say that the inner joints are OK.
The outers usually clattered on low-speed turns under load.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Had to replace the axle in my Spirit due to the boot cracking open. If the boot cracks, you catch it fairly quickly and you're willing to do some work to save money, the axle can be removed and a new boot installed and the joint repacked. The two-piece boot kits are a bandaid at best, and a moot point if the boot has been weeping for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts