Allpar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you somewhat older folks (like yours truly)......may have surmised from the thread title.....TV actor, writer, director, and later an executive at CBS-TV, Dwayne Hickman passed away today at 87.

I'm sure you'll best remember him as the eternally lovelorn High School and College Student from the CBS-TV sit-com "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis."

But here......he's pitching for the Plymouth Fury Suburban station wagon.

Rest in peace, Dwayne:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does anyone know how GM ended up with the Suburban nameplate?
Sure, They stole it; or should I say, "borrowed it", lol. Not Sure................
I wonder if Dobie's side kick, "Maynard G. Krebs" , ever did commercials?!? 😋
I never saw that commercial because I had gotten my drivers license around that time & I was gone, gone, gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Many shows in the 1950's to the 1970's had exclusive deals with carmakers to provide vehicles used in them especially by leading and supporting actors. Sometimes the stars of those shows were used in ads.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw that he passed away. Bob Saget as well. RIP guys.
Actually, Bob Saget's passing was the one that caught me off guard. These days, a lot of us (including me), don't tend to think of someone 65 as being "old" or a soon expected candidate for "the eternal dirt nap".

Somehow, it was easier for my mind to process the passing of Dwayne Hickman, since he was so much older, and was in bad health.

Funny how the mind works regarding such things.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
787 Posts
Actually, Bob Saget's passing was the one that caught me off guard. These days, a lot of us (including me), don't tend to think of someone 65 as being "old" or a soon expected candidate for "the eternal dirt nap".

Somehow, it was easier for my mind to process the passing of Dwayne Hickman, since he was so much older, and was in bad health.

Funny how the mind works regarding such things.
Yeah and I seen some people pretty much calling him a pedophile now. I have no idea where people come up with this garbage of slandering someone.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dobie Gillis the real American Good Guy on TV, RIP
You've brought up something I hadn't thought of.

A whole lot of network-tv has happened since CBS cancelled "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" in 1963.

And......I'm having a really hard time trying to come up with another TV character since then who was a genuinely good / decent / character without any noticeably or major character flaws.
So far, I've come up empty! ( And...In my definition...characters intentionally written as "wacky / goofy / silly"...... don't count, since those characters are intentionally written to be laughed at.

So.......If I stick to my definition......You just may be right about Hickman's "Dobie" being the last one.

And....that really drives home how low the state of modern TV has sunk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts