·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
What information are you looking for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the difference between a D31 and a Wayfarer? Both being a two door businessman coupe.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Kind of an odd one, given the D31 was an engine code, not a designation used in 1949, they were names by then, so Wayfarer, Coronet, DeLuxe, were used by then.
Basically it was the smallest and least accessorized and least expensive Dodge available, the Wayfarer was, as a business coupe, no frills, nothing fancy, including a 40percent smaller heater and rubber mats on the floor, basic, lighter than the other Dodge motor vehicle with the same D31 flathead 6 engine as the rest, so a little more pep due to the lower weight. Business coupes (I own one), have no back seat, that area is actually storage and has a flat area at the level of the top of the front seat. Shelves can be in front, or, just a larger trunk that goes all the way into the back seat area for a salesman to have a place to put his goods, sometimes a single shelf in the halfway point, not always. A twin matress can be placed in the trunk and a person can sleep in it safely and not have their feet stick out the trunk lip, haha.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
With finding a little more information, the D31 designation in 1949 could actually be the DeLuxe model, meaning it would have had a few more, unknown, accessories, possibly radio, maybe carpet, better heater. Not a lot of information out there to separate the two models per se, but I would have to say the D31 would be worth a little more than the Wayfarer, not as many made, but as noted, Wayfarer is smaller (shorter wheelbase), weight, but same otherwise (basic stripper).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that is puzzling is that there is a coronet emblem on the hood and dash. It does say Deluxe on the front fender and D31 on the tag on the fire wall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We believe that the car was built in the U.S for export to Canada. We are in Canada. Still puzzled as to why there is a coronet emblem on the hood and dash. Most pictures I am seeing on the internet do not show this emblem on the hood.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
OK, now we are talking about a different animal than what is in the United States. There are several models of cars over the decades that are one thing in the USA and an upgrade of sorts in Canada. The D31 is the engine, the rest is Canada. Heck, Neons were Chryslers up there!

Now, we do have a few Canadians on the site, by some rare chance one of them may be able to add to the Coronet badging, which, from what I was able to find, was pretty much on the opposite end of the scale from the Wayfarer, the DeLuxe or Super DeLuxe being in the middle.

Is there Wayfarer anywhere on the car, out of curiosity?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, Wayfarer is nowhere on the car. Tag on the fire wall says
Model D31-3-CPE
Body # 89
Paint Code 4105
Trim Code CAA

Deluxe on front fenders
That is it.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Welcome to the world of Canadian upgrage one step from previous model markings. Still a nice car, love the business coupes.
With that, what condition is the car and how much original is still there to tell what came with the car as far as accessories I mentioned come with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts