Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,580 Posts
The issue of a competitive engine program remains. There are only three engine programs in the series.
SHR get their engines from RFR which supplies all Ford engines.
RCR merged their engine shop into Hendrick which supplies all Chevy engines.
All the Toyota teams get their engines from TRD.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Look David can't out his sources or else he would not have them anymore especially from the Cup garage. I am not as plugged as I once was as I have left some groups due to the politically charged climate we live In today. It's just not worth sticking your nose in every corner of the internet anymore. That said, I have no doubt the parties are engaged and from Phelps' own mouth they are a ways down the road. If it falls through this time, blame Phelps for not more skillfully dodging(pun not intended) Lee Spencer. Nobody would have any idea just yet if it had not been for him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why bother, Nascar has nothing to do with what is at the dealer....
NASCAR is truly the most recognized motorsport in the United States and it is truely the right move for Stellantis and the Dodge Brand. I like NHRA and Trans AM racing but the audience of either is small compared to NASCAR! True the car is not a production Charger or Challenger but honestly NASCAR Race cars haven't been built off a stock chassis in over 40 years! Alot has to do with safety!! Especially after NASCAR lost Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin Jr and most remembered Dale Earnhardt NASCAR rightfully so put safety first with their cars. The Next Gen car that debuts next year is probably is as close to a production car looks as they have been in a long time. I have been with Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram for over 20 years and having the exposure of NASCAR will help bring much needed brand recognition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I heard Dave Moody on his Sirious Radio show talking about Dodge coming back weeks ago. I looked him up to try to find something in writing but found nothing. At that time he said that progress was being made and that we'd be surprised at the team(s) that would be involved.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The issue of a competitive engine program remains. There are only three engine programs in the series.
SHR get their engines from RFR which supplies all Ford engines.
RCR merged their engine shop into Hendrick which supplies all Chevy engines.
All the Toyota teams get their engines from TRD.
Where did SHR get engines when they were Chevy? Hendrick?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Ironic that Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham are business partners in the SRX Series!! If I was Stellantis and I wanted to figure out a way in to talk to someone I probably would have reached out to Ray Evernham the one who brought them to NASCAR last time.
Ray I wouldn't have thought he was interested based on interviews he's done. He's a been there done that person.

·
2,580 Posts
The amount it would cost to start an engine program from scratch... and it would have to be factory run by Dodge (similar to TRD). It's just too much money for any manufacturer to commit to for what amounts to very limited return on investment. This is why there's been other manufacturers sniffing around the series for years but no one will commit to it. 20 years ago the landscape of the sport was very different. There were more teams, and probably a dozen engine programs in the garage. Now there's three. It's not as simple as just getting a few good teams to come over to your banner anymore.

There's been a severe snap back on sponsorship investment into the sport as most companies have realized it's not a great use of advertising dollars anymore. Jimmie Johnson recently did a sit down interview and he revealed that driver contracts have dropped 50% in in dollar value since 2015. That's HUGE! Imagine a sport like the NFL or NBA or MLB where all the players had to take a 50% pay cut because the teams had no money.

The Next Gen (7) car is basically going to make this the IROC series. Cars are all made by one manufacturer and supplied to the teams with very specific rules about what they can and cannot touch on them.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
There's been a severe snap back on sponsorship investment into the sport as most companies have realized it's not a great use of advertising dollars anymore. Jimmie Johnson recently did a sit down interview and he revealed that driver contracts have dropped 50% in in dollar value since 2015. That's HUGE! Imagine a sport like the NFL or NBA or MLB where all the players had to take a 50% pay cut because the teams had no money.
To be fair those exact things were happening in other sports but it wasn't impacting the players but the owners. Why do you think sports like nba and hockey are allowing sponsors on jerseys now. Nascar contracts are dropping but the sponsorships are taking the pace of contracts

·
2,580 Posts
I mean that's nothing new. I think the new cars hide it better.
View attachment 83651
Actually it IS new. There have been common templates for a long time. However teams still built their own cars from the ground up - chassis, body, etc. That is all changing with the Gen7. Teams will no longer build their cars. ALL chassis and bodies will be supplied by one central supplier that has been contracted by NASCAR. There's basically a list of "do not touch" items on the new cars. They get them, drop in engines, and then run exactly how they're provided.

Team innovation is basically out the window.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts