Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, first of all.. thanks for your help!

My father have dodge caravan 2008 and its stuck on park. Someone tell to my father..force and put to park :/

The lights brake work.

I remove the cable shifter front the key mecanism and i can’t move the cable. This is normal? I try to move directly from the transmission and i cannot move.. if i knock with hammer yes its move.

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Are you able to start the engine with the shifter stuck in PARK position? Not to insult but I will assume the brake pedal is depressed firmly, key switch in ON / RUN position when trying to move shifter?

There is an emergency override to manually release the shifter if stuck in PARK position. See attached image.

Brake Trans Shfit Interlock Override.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply ! Yes i can start the engine.

Now the shifter cable is disconnectwd from the stering collumn and i cannot move the gear when i try to move directly since the transmission. Do you think its normal?

Are you able to start the engine with the shifter stuck in PARK position? Not to insult but I will assume the brake pedal is depressed firmly, key switch in ON / RUN position when trying to move shifter?

There is an emergency override to manually release the shifter if stuck in PARK position. See attached image.

View attachment 25209

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
. . . .Sorry i forget to tell you, thanks for the picture but its a 2008 . .
The image presented for the dash mounted shift lever is correct for a 2008 - 2010 model Chrysler minivan. Is your shift lever different from the one portrayed in the picture?

. . . Now the shifter cable is disconnectwd from the stering collumn and i cannot move the gear when i try to move directly since the transmission. . . .
Are you trying to move the dash mounted shift lever when you say "move the gear"?

There is a button on the left side of the shift lever knob. Does that button depress when pushed with your thumb? It must be depressed and brake pedal pushed before you can move the shift lever from the PARK position.

Try this test. Hopefully you have the vehicle in a quiet area free of outside noise. Turn off blower fan and fasten seat belt. Turn ignition key switch to ON / RUN but do not start the engine/ Place your hand on the shift lever and slowly press the brake pedal. You should be able to feel and hear a click which would be the solenoid being activated to allow the shift lever to move from the PARK position. If you do not feel and hear a faint click then the shift lever lock solenoid is not releasing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Allan, when i put the keys and i turn on, i never earn the Click from the solenoid. This is a 2008 dodge caravan, not the new generation. I disconnect the cable from the push lever ( you can see on the first image) and when i try to pull the cable to move the transmission gear ( last photo) anything.. i try to move with pray bar ..my hand.. but its never move. Its move if i knock with hammer.. its normal ?

I think the solenoid (second photo) its removed and i test the wire (1 pos hot all time and the ground hot when i press the light)

Thnaks Allan ! sorry for my english ! i do my best wihtout google translate ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
It sounds like the shift shaft (piece the lever is on) is stuck from corrosion where it passes through the transaxle case. At a minimum it may have to be removed from the bottom with the valve body. You can try some good penetrating oil, I don't know what is available where you live.

My approach would be to obtain a replacement seal for the shift shaft (under the lever) dig the old one out after removing the lever and soak it with penetrating oil. If that doesn't work, the next thing would be to try and remove the valve body from below. Unless you have access to a reair manual, it is a job best left to a competent repair shop (dealership or other, maybe a transmission shop). Good luck with it!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
. . . when i put the keys and i turn on, i never earn the Click from the solenoid. This is a 2008 dodge caravan, not the new generation. I disconnect the cable from the push lever ( you can see on the first image) and when i try to pull the cable to move the transmission gear ( last photo) anything.. i try to move with pray bar ..my hand.. but its never move. Its move if i knock with hammer.. its normal ?

I think the solenoid (second photo) its removed and i test the wire (1 pos hot all time and the ground hot when i press the light) . . . .
As mentioned you have 2 problems here; transmission shift lever shaft will not move and dash mounted shift lever stuck in PARK position.

Something in the cable or the shift shaft on the transmission control lever shaft is stuck. Disconnect the cable at the transmission end. Secure the vehicle from rolling and raise the front wheels from contact with surface. This will relieve pressure on the PARK pawl within the transmission. Can you move the transmission control lever shaft? Something could be broken inside the transmission and is preventing the transmission lever shaft from moving.

Are you able to push the button inward on the dash mounted shift lever knob? That must be depressed to move the shift lever. You have the dash mounted shift lever solenoid control removed. Can you manually push the solenoid inward to release its hold on the shift lever?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like the shift shaft (piece the lever is on) is stuck from corrosion where it passes through the transaxle case. At a minimum it may have to be removed from the bottom with the valve body. You can try some good penetrating oil, I don't know what is available where you live.

My approach would be to obtain a replacement seal for the shift shaft (under the lever) dig the old one out after removing the lever and soak it with penetrating oil. If that doesn't work, the next thing would be to try and remove the valve body from below. Unless you have access to a reair manual, it is a job best left to a competent repair shop (dealership or other, maybe a transmission shop). Good luck with it!
Thanks !!

So if i understand correctly, normally i can move easily with my hands the shift shaft from the transmission ? I Will try to find some manual for how i can remove the lever step by step..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As mentioned you have 2 problems here; transmission shift lever shaft will not move and dash mounted shift lever stuck in PARK position.

Something in the cable or the shift shaft on the transmission control lever shaft is stuck. Disconnect the cable at the transmission end. Secure the vehicle from rolling and raise the front wheels from contact with surface. This will relieve pressure on the PARK pawl within the transmission. Can you move the transmission control lever shaft? Something could be broken inside the transmission and is preventing the transmission lever shaft from moving.

Are you able to push the button inward on the dash mounted shift lever knob? That must be depressed to move the shift lever. You have the dash mounted shift lever solenoid control removed. Can you manually push the solenoid inward to release its hold on the shift lever?
So if i understand correctly, normally i can move easily with my hands the shift shaft from the transmission ? I Will try to find some manual for how i can remove the lever step by step

·
KOG
7,047 Posts
No manual needed, one end of travel is park, the other is low. It will take more effort than the shift lever on the dash, but if you can't move it by hand the problem is right there and you'll be pulling the valve body to free it.

·
Super Moderator
21,476 Posts
Located directly under the battery was a bad place for these. The battery acid could drip and mist onto the transaxle selector shaft and corrode it. Sometimes they would get stiff to move. Sometimes they froze up completely.
Worst case was I have had to hammer some really stuck valve bodies out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts