Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Dodge Caravan, and recently it has developed a very strange problem. It has the power doors, and this weekend the right side door just started opening and closing by itself. I might say open the driver's door, and the side door would open, try to close itself and then cycle thus for a while before It would stay closed. To make the issue even stranger, now the problem as moved to the rear door, and now it is opening and closing on its own. Is my problem unique, or has anyone else here experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
I'm not sure if that model has a separate BCM, but if it does, that's the first thing I'd look at. Anyone know if there's a BCM on the 2012 model?

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Each power door and liftgate has its own control module. These modules can store fault codes and accept flash updates.
If the door meets mechanical resistance above a certain 'pinch' level, it will stop and reverse direction. Any binding hinges or slider rollers?
The latch has a couple of sense switches and solenoids that must work in a certain order for the door to work properly.
The wiring harness has to flex with the door opening and closing. The wires can fatigue and eventually break.
Diagnose first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Each power door and liftgate has its own control module. These modules can store fault codes and accept flash updates.
If the door meets mechanical resistance above a certain 'pinch' level, it will stop and reverse direction. Any binding hinges or slider rollers?
The latch has a couple of sense switches and solenoids that must work in a certain order for the door to work properly.
The wiring harness has to flex with the door opening and closing. The wires can fatigue and eventually break.
Diagnose first.
No binding that I have observed. I had wondered if there was a common module as that would explain the "moving" nature of the problem. Which does not occur when the engine is on, only off. I suppose to read the codes I'd have to visit the dealer. I have seen codes when the doors open on my dash, 9ATE is one, but I don't remember the others. And that was when it was operating properly. The doors do seem to settle after a time, so I was wondering if I had some kind of capacitive discharge. It's annoying, and apparently unusual.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
If the doors were fully closed and latched, then started opening on their own, I doubt the auto-reversing of the door for pinch/resistance is the cause. Its while the doors are in motion that this takes effects, once the door is fully closed or open, there is no way to sense the resistance let alone trigger the door reversing direction? I could be wrong, but this makes sense to me.

On my '02 mini-van I did find that simply dirty sticky door seals on the sliding doors would cause the resistance to auto-reverse the doors. It was solved by simply scrubbing the seals and door surfaces with soapy water. On the sliding doors, the doors slides against the seals as it closes, so sticky surfaces on the seals and door, grab the door and create resistance. Anything in the hinges and rails that doors slides along can increase the resistance.

There also might be a calibration procedure for the doors and their auto-reverse anti-pinch feature. It can't hurt to run the calibration and see if it fixes the problem, if there is a calibration procedure.

I would check the voltage of the battery and charging system, the vehicle off and running. Low voltage from a bad battery or charging system has been know to send semi-conductor electronic modules batty. Previous generations of mini-vans, windshield wipers turning on and off all by themselves, was a dead give away clue you had a bad battery. Same thing might happen with doors on the newer vans. Regardless, a quick voltage check of the electric system in different conditions and monitoring it to see if voltage drops at any point.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
I agree with the low-voltage idea. Check and clean your battery terminals and have your battery tested. Most auto parts stores will test a battery for free.
The 9ATE 'code' is simply your 'lift GATE' ajar warning indicator. The '9' is used as a 'G'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts