Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
37,238 Posts
You always think something like a minivan is safe from being stolen.
But minivans are stolen when a thief needs a vehicle to move items. Even a thief recognizes the functionality of a minivan..

·
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For years Accords and Camrys used to be the most stolen cars. Thieves were after the parts to resell, particularly airbags.

I guess every “profession” has to adapt and evolve...

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
420 Posts
Learned two things here. First, I'm not looking forward to getting an insurance quote on a Charger when the time comes. And second, the current crop of Subaru's are so aesthetically challenged that even thieves don't want them.

·
Administrator
35,538 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bought a nifty security item at Amazon. It's a small pouch that prevents a thief from reading the codes on your key fob. Cost is under $12 as I recall. https://smile.amazon.com/Upgraded-Faraday-TICONN-Premium-Protector/dp/B07GDD35GH/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1Z29C2EWHT8WO&keywords=auto+key+fob+protector&qid=1565371624&s=gateway&sprefix=Auto+key+fob+,aps,213&sr=8-3
Wow I am in the market for a charger the reviews seem good. i wonder if this would really help with potential theft? Also why are they stolen so much?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Many cars are stolen for parts, Tesla parts can be picked up along the side of the road. Many Tesla vehicles which aren't stolen have a hard time being titled anyway, let alone a stolen one.

How did you determine that, “Many Tesla vehicles which aren’t stolen have a hard time being titled anyway,.....”?

I have never heard of a Tesla vehicle purchaser or owner having a problem titling the vehicle.

·
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How far do you need to go each day? I rarely drive more than 100 miles. A Tesla's range would be more than enough.

That said, when someone pays $40,000-$80,000 for a car, they do seem more likely to have a garage.
Depends where you are I guess. If you steal a Tesla in Los Angeles better make sure it has enough juice to be followed all afternoon by the KTLA TV chopper.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
How did you determine that, “Many Tesla vehicles which aren’t stolen have a hard time being titled anyway,.....”?

I have never heard of a Tesla vehicle purchaser or owner having a problem titling the vehicle.
Tesla Massively Delays U.S. Title Registrations For Its Cars - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha (at https://seekingalpha.com/article/4231925-tesla-massively-delays-u-s-title-registrations-cars )

The VIN Gap - a Hypothesis (at http://blog.quirkyllama.org/2019/03/the-vin-gap-hypothesis.html )

You can also check the owners' forums.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
FCA was caught rolling back used Ferrari ofometers so they woild fetch a higher price.

Reactions: gforce2002

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,797 Posts
Depends where you are I guess. If you steal a Tesla in Los Angeles better make sure it has enough juice to be followed all afternoon by the KTLA TV chopper.
Unless it's snatched by someone with a tow truck.......

Believe it or not, that's how my '92 Plymouth was stolen one night when I worked the graveyard shift. It was recovered a few hours later.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I snickered when I read your post............oh soooo true.

Reactions: tlc and aldo90731

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wow I am in the market for a charger the reviews seem good. i wonder if this would really help with potential theft? Also why are they stolen so much?
Because people want them, and if your good at stealing cars, & repainting them then, you can make lots of money.
The Charger and Challenger are "image" cars.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Gotta wonder about theft rate of Prius ? LOL !

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Many cars are stolen for parts, Tesla parts can be picked up along the side of the road. Many Tesla vehicles which aren't stolen have a hard time being titled anyway, let alone a stolen one.
Bahaahaa, I like that!

If I was going to steal any car, it would be the Charger or Challenger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts