Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really odd that there are no professional reviews of the Dart GT so far, but it's been in owners hands for weeks now. Doesn't Dodge normally ship out some press cars before the cars hit lots, so that the magazines/websites etc. can do their reviews and get people excited about the new product?

Anyone know why it's not the case this time?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I posted the same thing 2 weeks ago

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Well, what would they be reviewing exactly? It's basically a simple option package... Good shock absorbers, average mpg, and a yawner engine: end of review.

·
Registered
647 Posts
From the truedelta review: "Boring engine cover". Huh?? Seriously?? What do you want the engine cover to do? Slap you upside the head? (That would probably be very appropriate!) I think that comment ("Boring engine cover"), represents a new all-time low in automotive journalism.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
willy said:
From the truedelta review: "Boring engine cover". Huh?? Seriously?? What do you want the engine cover to do? Slap you upside the head? (That would probably be very appropriate!) I think that comment ("Boring engine cover"), represents a new all-time low in automotive journalism.
I think the problem is expectations.

Some people expect the GT to be special, tuned, and flashy. That engine cover (and everything else) does not live up to that expectation.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sorta like the "Tigershark" engines....that certainly don't live up to the expectation of a "Tigershark" inference. Unless by shark they mean it's always hungry for fuel...

·
Registered
70 Posts
They keep mentioning the gt being the former rt. while we assume the rt will be more spirited in performance, anyone guess what engine it will have or when we'd see it?

1.8l DI TC at 225hp?
2.4l DI TC Mair at 250hp?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
The GT you see IS the R/T, reincarnated. Whether they decide that an R/T Dart is viable or not is unknown to me - and I'm not holding my breath over it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Maybe the Hurricane 2.0L will make an acceptable Dart R/T. I would rather see Chrysler/Fiat spend money on the Avenger/Guilia than some sort of SRT Dart. A SRT Cherokee AWD might be a cool first V6 SRT.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Lackluster performance may be what led the RT to morph into the GT.

Great point, MoparStu!

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
This car was basically killed by the lackluster reviews in most major publicatiuons, due mainly to the weak engines. The company was basically trying to hit the 40mpg it promised the Govt as part of the bailout package. They should have left out all RT/GT models till after the mpg models were out for a half year, or so. Then they could have released a proper performance package that might have impressed. For those old enough to remember the original Darts, they came only as economy models with the old slant-6 for the first year and a half. Then came the GTs and a year or two after that, the real killer - the Dart Swinger with a 340 under the hood. Over the span of 3 - 4 years, the original Dart built a real reputation for performance.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
billfrombuckhead said:
Maybe the Hurricane 2.0L will make an acceptable Dart R/T. I would rather see Chrysler/Fiat spend money on the Avenger/Guilia than some sort of SRT Dart. A SRT Cherokee AWD might be a cool first V6 SRT.
Crossfire SRT6 was the first and only V6 SRT so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts