Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thought covers more than just the 2012 grand caravan i currently have, so i'm posting this here.

we traded a 2011 journey for our van. on the test drive, i noticed that the van's monotone "EVIC" didn't have the same data that the journey did. such as specific air pressure display for each tire... and most importantly to me... transmission temperature. i don't understand why Mopar would not include all the essential data on all vehicles with essentially the same instrument cluster. during the time, i never once considered towing with it. however after having the van, i knew that eventually we would be doing some towing with it. due mainly to the longer wheelbase and feeling more comfortable with the handling. (the journey was um.. well it liked to wander around a little)

i asked a friend of mine about the possibility of adding the "gauge" to the EVIC in our van.. or if he had heard of someone doing this. as usual with most dealer techs, he hadn't heard of this, but said he would look into it if an opportunity presented itself.

has anyone else pondered this thought?
do any of you know a sales code or other "trick" to get his data to display?

any Chrysler peeps on here that can consider this option with future vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,065 Posts
You should have the red transmission overheat warning light and yellow TPM warning light in the instrument cluster. The trans overtemp light looks like a sprocket and thermometer together. They should both light as a 'bulb' test when you start the car.
I doubt that a premium EVIC could be added to a vehicle that wasn't originally equipped with it. The base cluster (CCN) and TIPM (Gateway) just wouldn't support it.
If anyone could help you would be your dealer and I really don't think that this can be done.
Some accessories like remote start and alarm systems can be added and the TIPM can be told that it is now equipped with these options and then recognize them, but otherwise the vehicle's electronic identity from the factory is pretty much unchangeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry. i have the 2012 G/Caravan Crew. it has what i would think is the "premium" EVIC... the LCD screen between the speedo and tach about the size of an old garmin nuvi. its just a monotone display where the Journey's was full color.

No, I haven't noticed the lights you're describing on startup. I'll look for them and check the manual also. The bad thing about "idiot lights" is that when they come on, something bad has already happened. example, i had my '07 JK updated for the "hot oil" warning for the transmission. It came on the following week while on a trip. After that, I installed an aftermarket cooler and an aux trans temp gauge. I like to keep tabs on that stuff.

we'll see what happens. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts